Knitting Journey: There are Knitting Apps!

So for this week I know we were supposed to find a new app or tool we’ve never used to document our learning project. For me this was a terrifying though as I felt most of these apps and tools were pushing towards videomaking (my worst nightmare) then I stumbled on an app called knitandnote and this is an app specially made for knitters. This app may not document my knitting in the way you’d want it to but it documents the process for me.

In this app you get to organize all the projects you want to do or are doing, find patterns and creators, and have you yarn and tool stash all in one place. It allows you to see what you are working on and your progress on it as well as keep track of what yarn and needles you have to make the projects you want. I have found it extremely helpful, in the little time I used it, in allowing me to look at where I am on my project just on my phone.

This is the projects  page of the app that shows a bunch of information. It has the title of the project and details including, needle size, gauge, start date, who it’s for, size, yarn type and how much you use or will use. As well, it has a feature for a row counter which allows you to input how many rows  you are in and for what parts of the project. For example, my row counter is currently for the body of the sweater and i am 29 rows into it. So after each knitting session or as I’m going along i can add how ever many rows I’ve knitted so i can easily keep track of my progress. This is also especially helpful for if you have to put a project down for awhile as all the information you need is right there so you can jump back in without confusion. There is also a feature where is you are using one of the hundreds of patters on the app you can attach it to our project so you know what pattern you are following for the project.

Speaking of patterns this is library page where all the patters you can use are located. there are so many and you can search through different categories and types of projects. you can also go to specific designers who make patterns for this app. this app also has blog posts so you can read articles about knitting or peoples stories about knitting

The final feature I’m going to talk about is the stash and tools page where you can log all the supplies you have. This is so neat as now you don’t need to dig through all the yarn you have to find what you need to start a project and it keeps it logged for you in on place. It also has feature that will help you take a pattern and make it work for you if the pattern doesn’t work for you as it is.

This type of app was completely new to me and I have fallen in love with it. I am very excited to keep working with it. Also, this type of online organizer and community could be beneficial in a class room setting where its teacher resources and for student work and assignments. Essentially it a one stop shop for organizing and finding projects that make it very easy to keep track of your work.

5 thoughts on “Knitting Journey: There are Knitting Apps!”

1. Hi Jenna, this app looks so neat! I would have never thought to look for an app for knitting. With each feature you mentioned it made me more interested and now I want to see if there is an app similar for the crochet community. Thanks for sharing and happy knitting!

2. Jenna,

Thank you for sharing such an amazing resource! I love how you gave a thorough explanation of each section. Although I have never knit before, this app looks like it would be extremely helpful and convenient to use – especially the stash and tools page. I am excited to see your sweater progress going forward! I have a quick question for you. How long does it take the average learner to complete a row?! It seems as though you are killing it. Thank you, once again, for sharing.

I am pumped to see your progress going forward,
    Emma

3. As a fellow video making-hater, I feel you so hard on finding an app that doesn’t involve having to film yourself or edit your own footage. Good to know there are knitting apps! If you like this one, you might also like the website ravelry.com. Thousands of free patterns that you can filter for every kind of criteria. Apparently you can also connect it to a bunch of apps (although not Knitandnote), so you can import patterns you find on raverly into whatever knitting app you use and vice versa.
    https://www.ravelry.com/about/apps

4. Hey Jenna,
    Thanks for sharing this great resource! For my learning project I am doing crocheting and I am just curious on this app could it be used for crocheting or only for knitting?

5. Hi Jenna,
    This seems like a great way to stay organized for knitters who are working on multiple projects at once! Also, kudos to you for being so determined to take on a large project such as creating a sweater while learning a new skill. I hope it turned out!