Self Stories

Week One:

A loud high-pitched ring vibrates throughout my ears. I rub sleep from my eyes and reach to turn off the noise. I carry my heavy legs out of my silk sheets and place them on the cold floor. I walk to my closet and pick out an old rough pair of denim jeans. Then I slide all the clothes to one side and pick out a white t-shirt from the back. I put my hair into a low messy bun, change and go upstairs to say good morning to my family. I grab my jeep keys and then reach for the door knob; the front door creaked as I pushed to open it. I step outside being welcomed by fresh open air and birds singing in the tall pine trees. I unlock my jeep and place my legs on the smooth leather seats taking in the new coconut air freshener. I plug the aux cord into my phone and turn on my favourite summer playlist filled with hits from the 2000’s. I place my petite hand on the shift knob to put it in drive. Then I decide to place my ray band sunglasses on my face to protect my eyes from the golden glow from the sky. I stop at the local Tim Hortons to order an extra sweet iced coffee; I scramble to find change. Two dollars in quarters and a dime I pass to the women working in the window and I thank her with a big smile for preparing my coffee. I unwrap the straw and poke it through the plastic coffee lid with a drawn on smiley face. I take a big first sip filling my mouth with a sweet liveliness flavour. The smell is caramelly with notes of roasted almond and maple syrup.  The after-taste left is bright and clean stuffing my body with energy and alertness. I feel Canadian on these types of days.

Seeing the red coffee cup from Tim Hortons makes me believe that coffee brings people together, whether that be over a business meeting or just to catch up with old friends. Coffee keeps use warm in the cold winters we have and it’s the drink we pick up before hockey games. The fresh air I get welcomed by is of the freedom our country gives us and the right to vote. The birds singing reminds me that we are able to have a voice and express our cultures/religions. My morning alarm reminds me of the hard work people put into making Canada a wonderful place to live.

I am proud to be Canadian.