Hi! My name is Johnna Hertlein. I was raised in small town Langenburg, Saskatchewan. I’m currently twenty-one years old and I am in my 3rd (ish) year of university! I come from a larger family as I have three younger sisters who allowed me to learn what it truly means to be a role model.

I began my journey into education in high school where I tutored and mentored the younger children in my school. I have also been very involved in the local pools in my area, and this led to me becoming a swimming instructor to children of all ages!Originally, I had went to the University of Alberta to pursue a degree in Immunology and Infection, but I realized a huge part of my life was missing- teaching! Now I’m a full-time education student at the University of Regina and am pursuing a huge passion of mine.

I’m currently working towards a degree in Secondary Education with a major in Biology and a minor in Chemistry. I am also working on my certificate of Inclusive Education. I recently completed my ECS 303 placement which allowed me to being to actually teach in a classroom! I absolutely enjoyed every minute of lesson planning and seeing those plans come to life in the classroom. However, I would definitely say that the best part of my Wednesdays was getting the chance to make connections with all of the students in the classroom. This experience has definitely let me know how important making connections with students is to me and to their learning.

Outside of school, I’ve been keeping myself quite busy with a variety of jobs, including tutoring a current Grade 6 student. I have managed to build a great relationship with this student, and we work extremely well together in order to build upon their understanding and completion of the homework. I also have 2 cats and a dog that are always in the mood to play and cuddle! One of the other things that I really enjoy doing during the winter is snowboarding, there is definitely no better winter sport (in my opinion of course!).