Teaching Manifesto

Teaching Manifesto

I believe that education is a resource that is for everyone. No matter your age or the amount of education you already have you can always learn more. In my opinion teaching and learning is also for everyone; everyone can be a teacher in their own way, and everyone can be a learner because there is always something new for us to discover. I truly believe in teaching through a student-centered learning plan as it allows students to learn about the topic while also learning more about themselves. By teaching students’ holistic ways of thinking we can allow them to make connections to other areas of importance throughout their life. I feel that by teaching this way we can foster an environment for inclusion and acceptance that in turn will allow schools to feel like a much safer place for students and teachers alike. By having my own experience with teaching, I am able to see problems that are arising in schools, classrooms, and the curriculum as a whole; this experience also allows me to think more about what I can do to help make change for the better. As an educator on treaty 4 land, it is my job to help introduce students to the different ideologies that were fostered by the first nations people that lived on this land before us. I feel that by implementing these ideologies I am able to help students overcome/ grow with the knowledge of what has happened and by knowing this they can move forward in life with a positive outlook. My commitment to focusing on particular aspects of my teaching practice include teaching in ways to help students grow and develop healthy practices for their future.