Reflecting on Kohlberg’s & Gilligan’s Theories of Moral Development

We all make mistakes, and as we age and gain more experiences we learn how to make morally guided decisions. Two major contributors to the theories on how we develop morality are Lawrence Kohlberg and Carol Gilligan.

Kohlberg contributed to moral development theory by:

Proposing three levels and six stages of moral development. These levels and stages are the following:

Level I: Preconventional Morality

Stage I: Punishment-Avoidance and Obedience

Stage II: Exchange of Favours

Level II: Conventional Morality

Stage III: Good Boy/Good Girl

Stage IV: Law and Order

Level III: Postconventional Morality

Stage V: Social Contract

Stage VI: Universal Ethical Principle

(Ormod et al., 2010, p. 75)

Gilligan contributed to moral development theory by:

Proposing that there are differences in moral development based on an individual’s sex and “moral development based on relation and response,” (Hsing-Chiung, 2015, p. 122). Gilligan elaborated on Kohlberg’s theory of moral development by discussing moral development from a sociological viewpoint that takes into account the differences in gender roles.

Story Time

Bitmoji Image

When I was in high school, I once took my Mom’s credit card without asking to buy some clothes for myself. I intended on paying her back the same week because I had the money to go shopping, I just did not have a way to access the money at the time. The money I saved up was in a savings account that I needed my Mom to come with me in order to take the money out. From what I remember, I did not have a good reason for not asking my mom if I could use her card. I think I just decided that since I was paying her back right away it was fine to do what I did.

How would Kohlberg view my decision?

Kohlberg would say that my decision would be a decision made by someone in the first stage of moral development, punishment avoidance and obedience. According to Ormond, Saklofske, and Schwean, Kohlberg’s first stage of moral development can be described as:

Individuals make decisions based on what is best for themselves, without regard for others’ needs or feelings. They obey rules only if established by more powerful individuals; they disobey when they can do so without getting caught. The only “wrong” behaviours are ones that will be punished.

(2010, p. 75)

My decision is reflective of the first stage because I knew that the decision was wrong and my goal was only to avoid punishment by paying my Mom back right away. My decision is also reflective of the first stage because the rule that I should not take money without asking was established by a more powerful individual than myself; this person being my Mom.

How would Gilligan view my decision?

Bitmoji Image

In “Theories of Morality in Early Childhood”, Hsing-Chiung Lin (2015) discusses Gilligan’s view of moral development. Hsing-Chiung (2015) points out that Gilligan discusses the attachment in relationships that is related to moral development. According to Gilligan, this attachment influences moral development.

In relation to the decision I made, my attachment to my mom influenced my decision. I decided to make the wrong decision because I knew that there is security in my relationship with my Mom. I knew that even though I took her credit card without asking she would still love me.

References

Hsing-Chiung, L. (2015). Theories of morality in early childhood. In T. David, K. Goouch, & S. Powell (Eds.), The Routledge international handbook of philosophies and theories of early childhood education and care (pp. 119-127). London: Routledge.

Ormod, J.E., Saklofske, D.H., & Schwean, V.L. (2010). Principles of educational psychology. Toronto, ON: Pearson (pages 72-83)