Blog

This is a Sign

For my learning project, I’ve decided to learn a new language, ASL. This has always been a language I’ve been curious about but never gave myself the time to learn it. This class and this assignment are giving me the perfect opportunity to do so.

There were various other skills I was debating about learning, however, my sister is currently studying Speech Pathology and just learned ASL. Which also gave me another reason to strive to learn this language. I currently don’t know much, maybe a few letters from the alphabet, but I will pretty much be starting from zero.

I plan on using both the internet, books, and virtual calls from my sister to help me in learning the alphabet to start. Then to progress into sentences, and hopefully sign to music, or sign someone’s conversation if I truly can reach that challenge. As I start learning the alphabet I plan to figure out and organize my learnings and progress that way. As I want to experiment with what works for me first.

I can’t wait to take this journey in learning ASL, as I think it is super important and an advantage to be able to know in the world, and as an educator.

First-year education student and player on the University of Regina Women's Volleyball team. Majoring in mathematics and minoring in physical education.