After 84 Years… FINALLY (thumbaround)

Best Thumbaround GIFs | Gfycat
Gif from Parixer via Gfycat

I have been training for the past 3 weeks this pen spinning technique named “thumbaround.” I was on the verge of giving up since I have spent days after days of practicing and I still could not get a full spin.

The online videos that I have watched were of course helpful, but nothing can beat a live lesson!

[optimize output image]
bf pen spinning
My boyfriend can do the “thumbaround,” so he helped me. He was very patient than I was. Keep in mind, I have been training myself for weeks prior to our little session. Within some days I am finally getting the hang of it. So, every time I come home from in-class lectures I train for some minutes. I see improvements every day and I cannot believe it!

Finally, after weeks of training, I can confidently show you all my thumbaround!

[optimize output image]
my pen spinning showcase
Of course, I did not show you the failed attempts because I want to feel good about myself. It really defines the saying “try and try until you succeed.” This also pose a great lesson for me and for everyone. On the verge of giving up, push yourself further and you will achieve it eventually! I felt really bad to myself and kept having a mindset of “my fingers are too short for finger spinning and/or my fingers are too stiff to do this.” I realized this and changed my way of thinking to “just keep pushing and see what you are doing wrong and try to reform your technique.” Now, I can finally do a full 360° spin. People who believe and motivate you is also a great help. In my case, my boyfriend motivated me to keep going. As a result, I can show him that our little lecture helped me greatly!

For next week, I am going to learn a new technique and will continue to polish my “thumbaround” skill.

2 thoughts on “After 84 Years… FINALLY (thumbaround)”

1. That is such a neat skill! Students would love being able to see their teacher fling a pen around haha. Can’t wait to see what is next!