A Simpler Way of Coding – Scratch

Last week’s EDTC300 lecture made us discover some coding websites such as Scratch, Code.org, and Code Academy. I focused on Scratch and made a little loop of a woman walking:

It took me awhile to get to this point. The codes are simple, yet very limited to what I wanted it to do. As you could see, the sprite’s walking animations are extremely fast. I wanted it so that she is casually walking, but I cannot seem to find the code for it. Overall, I am satisfied on what I have created. I am very proud of it!

This is the code of this loop if someone wants to try it out for themselves:

Loop Code

I had a bit of experience python language and writing the code themselves are much more difficult than just dragging the codes. However, for teaching younger students, this is an awesome tool to get them started with learning codes. Let us face it, coding is not easy! I really had a difficult time when I learned python in Computer Science 20. This one is also colourful; it is pleasing to the eyes and definitely will engage young coders!

As a comparison, I dug up my past Computer Science scripts so we can compare how complicated it is compared to Scratch, as well as how “dead” it looks compared to the colorful interface of Scratch (if you are a CS student reading this, please take it easy!).

My Final CS Project: Tanks vs Zombies

This is just the glimpse of the code, and this is how it plays out:

As we can see, Scratch is a great tool for kids to start thinking about coding. It gives them an idea that they can create something out of different codes!

I think coding is really helpful in a way that students can learn how it works underneath the surface. Students can learn how their favorite phone apps or games work using codes. Not only that it fascinates them, but it may also inspire them to be creative and create their own games!! It can also add to the idea of learning digital citizenship in a way that we are accessing this information and using it to be responsible in the online world.

This society is becoming more and more digital, and learning coding is one of the things we should consider learning since so we can be knowledgeable of how things work in the background. Learning coding also encourages us to be mindful about the dangers of digital world: scamming, viruses, and more.

Overall, it is important for everyone, not only students, to learn coding even just the basic of it!

Note: if anybody is wondering, I used OBS for screen for screen recording!

5 thoughts on “A Simpler Way of Coding – Scratch”

1. Hey Jozelle,
    I like your video that you created! I also like how you shared a “behind-the-scenes” snap shot of what your code looks like behind the video. Great idea!

2. I also had the problem of my character moving to fast, I couldn’t quite slow it down either. I love how you captured yours with a video. It looks great!

3. I love the little video you created. There is one code you can use that says “move ( ) steps in ( ) seconds” so I played with that until it moved the pace I wanted it to. Great job!

1. Hmmm I went back to my Scratch and tried to find this code. I looked everywhere and could not find it. Maybe it is specific for each sprite? I don’t know XD

1. Oh my gosh I didn’t see your reply! Sorry I missed this. It might be specific for each sprite I am not totally sure.