Lights and More Lights- Week 6

Onto another week of learning about lighting. The lighting I learned about this week I am unable to try for myself due to it being extra equipment I don’t own, but I am still able to get plenty of details on how they work and what they are used for with photography.

Lights and more lights!  So much to learn about different types of lights that enhance your photography.  Strobe lights are able to sync to your camera using sync ports on the side of the camera, using wireless radio control or other units can also be used together and fired in unison from one remote.  The amount of watts that is used varies.  Watts are the amount of energy measured, in watts available in one second of time. There’s a few different kinds of strobe lights that can be used. Strobe lights, also known as Monolights, are extremely bright and emit rapid bursts of light. They require more set up so are generally used for higher end studio lighting. Strobe lights and Speedlight’s are similar in that they both emit short bursts of light and both need low shutter speed.  Speedlight’s are often used for event photography, they attach to the camera and can light a subject in a dark room. They aren’t as fast as pack and head strobes, but it’s a much faster set up and break down.  Pack and head strobes are the most powerful options for a shoot.  They hold the energy in a generator and release through a flash head or heads. It offers the most power and fastest recycling time. There is some battery operated options for these lights but they are mostly AC powered.  It is a generator of extra flash power.  A battery replacement with adjustable outlets that can produce symmetrical or asymmetrical output through its 4 outlets.  It also offers tone light control.  Attached to the camera, it allows the subject lighting to be adjusted to any one of three levels per subject basis.  Lighting is the key to any successful photographs.  Cameras do a lot of adjusting for us automatically but it’s a good idea to learn about these extra supports if the goal is to take professional photographs.