Hey! We look different! #2

February 25, 2021 0 By Kacie

I was born and raised in Big River Saskatchewan which is about two hours north of Saskatoon. It is a very small town and some people refer to it as a reserve. With it being classified as a reserve I went to school with a few First Nations kids and became close friends with some of them. In elementary school I remember so vividly in one of my social studies classes we were learning about the history of First Nations and I was confused to as why I did not look like a ‘normal Metis’ because i have always been so pale. After that class during recess when I was playing some game with my friends we were talking about how we look so differently and how her skin tone was darker than mine. We were kind of confused to as how that works but it wasn’t until later when I discovered that on my moms side, I am English, Polish, and Ukrainian. I have a lot of white ancestry behind me and i am only Metis on my father’s side so I am not fully First Nations. Another time is when we had a new student in our class and he was from Africa which made him have a darker complexion. On his first day before he told us about his and his families background before moving to Canada I wondered how and why his skin was a different colour than everyone else’s. After finding out he was not from Canada I quickly grew fascinated with not only why he came here or what his life was like where he was from and what his culture was like.