Sweet Rainbow Bunnies and Thoughts on Documenting Learning

I’ve slowed down a bit on the amirigumi, but I did almost finish my son’s rainbow bunny!  I’ve put some pictures and videos on here.  I used the pattern “Cory the Giant Bunny”, linked here.  I used a smaller hook and smaller yarn so my bunny is not, in fact, giant, but still adorable and snuggable.

I am so stinkin proud of this floppy little creature!  It definitely isn’t perfect, there are gaps here and there where the stuffing can be seen, and one of the legs is a bit wonky.  For next week, I will hopefully share my journey into figuring out the pompom tail.

As part of my class feedback, our prof wanted me to reflect more on the learning process and include more visuals.  I think for me, I like to just do things and experience them.  It is challenging to remember to stop what I’m doing and take notes on feelings, or take a little video, or pictures.

Reflecting on learning is an important part of the process.  I find I prefer to do it privately and in my head. I am surprised at how much energy and effort it takes me to write down these thoughts and updates, as well as remembering to document the visual process.  A lot of people take time to process these thoughts and ideas, and it is difficult to bundle an experience nicely into 16 or so weeks.

As a teacher, I usually don’t require students to document the process of learning.  If we are working on projects, I give them checkpoints and timelines for them to loosely follow. I usually follow their learning process through conversations, individually and as a class, and prompt them with questions about what they have found challenging, what they enjoyed, etc. A lot of students struggle to verbalize their thoughts on this, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t have any, or that they aren’t reflecting on what they are learning.

3 thoughts on “Sweet Rainbow Bunnies and Thoughts on Documenting Learning”

1. Hi Kelsey!
    I love your adorable rainbow bunnies. They do not look beginner at all! I love all the little details like the noses, they are so so so very adorable! I also struggle documenting my own progress, I am also the type to do it in my head and not keep track of my progress independently. But, learning rarely comes without struggle, at least that’s what I remind myself whenever I am having difficulty with a new learning opportunity.
    Keep up the great work!
    Cheyenne

2. Hi Kelsey!
    The bunny is so cute oh my goodness! I am actually so impressed! I think the little “imperfections” like the gaps and leg make it so much more personal and that is so sweet. It makes me want to try it out and make one for my new niece. I totally understand the struggle with documenting your reflections. One way I’ve made progress with this is asking myself “What have I learned throughout this process that isn’t what I can show?” In my case, I may have made a killer meal this week, but I also am more confident in my skills this week! I’ve tried incorporating this reflective thinking into other areas of my life and I think it is a great skill to have. I hope you have a great week! Can’t wait to see what you do next 🙂
    Chayse.

3. Hi Kelsey,
    I also struggle with documenting my learning, I find it very hard to stop what I’m doing to just to set up for a video because I am just too focused on the task at hand. I love your view as an educator on making check points and finding out how your students are doing through conversation. I remember when I was in high school and elementary school. Many of my teachers did this and I feel it does not add extra tasks or sway there attention from the true goal of learning and completing the assignment to the best of the students ability.