Blog Post 11: Multilingual Students

Blog Post 11: Multilingual Students

Canada is one of the most well-known multicultural countries, and with that comes many languages. Most people will speak English (obviously) with the French language being an addition many people know as well since Canada has two official languages, but we as teachers have to go beyond that as many of our students could speak languages we haven’t even thought of. Because of this, they often feel left out when doing speaking assignments, or when educators discuss the French language (as it is often times required in some schools) so we need to be able to engage our multilingual students. A way we could create more engagement is by encouraging the use of their home language in junction with the language of the classroom so that the students are able to view themselves in a positive light. Another way we as educators could help engage is by learning the different languages with the guide of the students, such as learning a new word or two from a specific language each day so that at the end of the year/semester you and your students have learned new languages. Another way we could help engagement is by encouraging working dually in the languages a student may know, so being able to have projects in dual languages as well as allowing students to research/work in their home language.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 11: Multilingual Students

1. Hi Kari
    I appreciated how you acknowledged that even though Canada has officially two languages, it is important to remember that it does not mean there is space for other languages within the classroom. Similarily, I also agree that encouraging students to do their work or projects through their home language is a great way to create an environment where they won’t feel uncomfortable or even embarrassed to speak their home language.

2. Hello Kari, I really enjoyed reading your post! I think your mention of Canada being a multicultural country is important because I feel it often goes forgotten. As someone who has taken French classes at the university level, I definitely see the importance of experiencing language. But I feel that it shouldn’t just be French. You mentioned in your post that educators need to work on acknowledging all different languages beyond French and English and I completely agree.