Blog Post 3: Affect Theory

Blog Post 3: Affect Theory

The topic I chose for this blog post/curriculum critique is affect theory. Affect theory is the theory that seeks to organize affects into categories and to describe their manifestations; which this means that in education, the affect theory is the effect different practices have on students, and the categories we have come up with. The affect theory also clarifies why we have certain policies in education. After defining affect theory, we can see that it has a bigger role in the pedagogy portion of teaching but will stay play a role in the curriculum. We include it as affect theory plays a role in different practices by incorporating those practices in the classroom based on what is having the right affect.

In affect theory, affect can be used as a synonym for emotions/feelings as this theory also deals with emotions in classrooms. However; emotion and affect are different in their logic as well as the specific orders they have, as well as their bodily affect. Affects are fleeting and typically won’t last in the mind/body of a student whereas emotions stick around longer.

My next steps for this assignment would probably start my essay outline and plan out what my summary will include as well as finding my sources. After that, I will probably plan it out in better detail and start writing.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 3: Affect Theory

1. Great job explaining the education topic you are writing about. I was able to get an understanding of affect theory.
    Your next steps could include if you are planning to find sources that argue with or against your primary source.
    Thank you for explaining the difference between affect and emotions since the two could be confused for each other.

2. I find it really interesting how the ideas of emotions and the effects of curriculum have similarities but do not leave the same lasting feelings. There is definitely a huge issue surrounding this topic in our schools today, as I feel people focus more on the content and knowledge rather than how they can get students to connect with it on an emotional level. I’m curious about what kinds of different articles and perspectives you’ll find on this topic!

3. Hi Kari! I find your blog post very interesting as the affect theory is new to me. I think it is so important to approach students holistically. I like how you mentioned emotions, feelings, mind, and body!