Blog Post 4: A Good Student

Blog Post 4: A Good Student

To be a good student in our worlds common sense is to be one who sits quietly during class/instruction, students behave and are not “rowdy”, as well as being part of school activities. A good student will have good grades and test scores (test scores being most important in our common sense). A good student has all of their learning materials and comes to school well-rested and ready for the day. This is not what an actual good student looks like though.

The only people who can afford to be this kind of “good’ student are those who are wealthy and white, who do not have to face most of the hardships many who are not part of the majority have to go through. If you are part of a minority then many will immediately cast you off as a terrible student.

This has been shaped in our history by many factors; colonialism, racism, wars, famine, as well as politics. However, the key element to all of these factors is that the good student role was made so that we could make the rest of the world like us as to many dislike the multiculturism we have now.

6 thoughts on “Blog Post 4: A Good Student

1. Kari, I really enjoyed your response! I absolutely agree that status quo tells us that “good students” are the ones who sit quietly and score well. It was really interesting to me that you mentioned the piece about being well rested, as often that factor even slips my mind. Something I think would make your piece more engaging is to go into a bit greater detail. Explain some of these hardships students face and how it effects their presence at school. Be specific about historical details. This would really support your statement that there isn’t one way a student should look/act. Good work overall!

2. Hi! I completely agree that the idea of a good student is kids that sit silent in the classroom and are not rowdy and to perform greatly on tests. In elementary school I remember my teacher telling my class quite often to settle down and stop being rowdy. But the truth is this does not define if you are a good student or not. I believe that some students have a little trouble sitting quietly but can still perform just as good as other student that can. These types of expectations are not fair because for some students it is not possible for them do to so. They might have a disability holding them back or they may learn by doing and talking themselves through it.
    I really enjoyed your blog!

3. Kari, I really enjoyed reading your blog post this week. I think you’ve covered some good aspects as to what a “good” student looks like according to common sense. I’m curious as to what you personally think a good student looks like, because I think that can look different for everyone. Overall, great work on your blog! -Shae

4. Hey Kari, I couldn’t help but agree with a lot of what you said in your post! The role of the good student is certainly there as a mold to try to fit us all in when we know that’s not very logical when we have so much diversity in our world.
    As you put it, the standards being what they are; sit quietly, do homework, do well on tests, etc, makes education easy for select groups but not for others because of different factors such as home life, finances, mental health and many other things.

5. There are many different types of students who struggle with their studies and should be closely monitored. Not all students can afford the materials they need and it’s why some not do well in school.
    I really cherished how you listed the factors that have shaped our society and that it affects humanity
    Overall you did a great job of summarizing the blog post.

6. Hi Kari,
    I like how you mentioned that a “good” student is determined if someone can be like everyone els especially “white”. because many believed that the European ways of teaching are superior, that if a student is not molding and learning from their ways of teaching then they are automatically a “bad” student.