Blog Post 5: Curriculum

Blog Post 5: Curriculum

Looking into Levins Article, we see that there is much more that goes into curriculum making than what is typically thought. Its not just making a list of goals and then implementing it, there is politics as well as many different groups of people helping to develop it. The curriculum is developed on two levels, the first being broad goals and the second being specific learning objectives. There are several groups involved in the making including politicians, educators, board members, funding, and parents. Through readind this article I found that there are about 6 steps into making and developing curriculums. It begins with examining goals and then gathering data, as well as considering options. The development continues with drafting the elements and then trying to get to a consensus of what is to be done. Lastly they will either fully implement thge curriculum (which is highly unlikely) or they will do test runs and slowly implement the new curriculum. What suprised me the most with this curriculum was how much politcs and people who fund schools have an effect on the curriculum revision system, as I would hope that educators/researchers who have actual experiance in the school system would have a larger role.

We took a look into treaty education as well. Treaty education is now mandatory in schools, which I feel is very important since there are so many who do not understand what treaty educatio means. When creating this, they had many different groups involved which I thought was also pretty important as havign the many different Indigenous groups involved helps to have many voices heard. Within treaty education there are 4 goals, with them being; treaty relationships, intent of treaties, history, and promises/provisions. For these goals, the plan is to have studenst by Grade 12 be able to have a good understanding of treaties and of these goals.