My Education Autobiography

I am Kassidy Madigan. I grew up in a small Saskatchewan town going to a small Saskatchewan school. I was taught to be respectful and always do what adults told me. No matter what, if they were the adult in charge they were right. As much as I tried to be a well-disciplined student I would rebel in certain situations. I was quiet and shy and when this part of me was disrespected I would throw tantrums or have meltdowns. I was slow to trust and if this was rushed I would display what some teachers saw as “inappropriate behavior”.

There are two teachers that stick out to me inparticluar and both these teachers were the type to treat all kids the same no matter the situation. Grade one I moved twice. My first new teacher only taught me music, but she made one hour of everyday the worst hour of my life. I would get yelled at for not participating or being too quiet. I cried every day during music until we moved half way through my grade one year. My second new teacher for grade one was not a fresh start either. The first day, I remember her calling on me. When I clammed up she made a spectacle of it. I left my first day at a new school never wanting to go back. These two teachers are people that I will always remember. Not because I look up to them and want to be like them one day, but because they are the exact opposite I want to be like. If it weren’t for the teachers that followed things could have ended up totally different for me. People think just because its grade one that it doesn’t matter, but those years are just as crucial. If I wasn’t able to overcome my terrible grade one year I might have just given up on school all together and wouldn’t be on my way to becoming a teacher. I really think building trusting relationships with each child is the most important thing a teacher can do.

Although these two teachers were not a great experience for me, not all my teachers were terrible. My favorite teacher I had was a student teacher on her practicum. She taught me part of grade 4. She had this new teacher spark and was excited about everything. She made learning fun again. She had new ideas and gave the vibe that she actually cared about her students. As I reflect on why I want to be a teacher I think about why this particular teacher sticks out as my favorite. It wasn’t because she didn’t give homework, because she definitely did. It wasn’t because the stuff she taught was easier. I think it was because she was excited to be teaching and actually cared. So often teachers get bored or cranky or stop caring because they have been doing it for so long.   New teachers right out of school are eager and excited and really care about making a good name for themselves as teachers. I really want to be a teacher that keeps that new teacher spark for my whole career. I want to be innovative and change with the times. I want to look at my students and see what they individually need and not just do the same thing every year over and over again. I want to care about the work I am doing and be proud of it 20 year in.

I am scared. Becoming a teacher is nerve wracking. What if I can’t make a difference and help the children I am teaching? What if the kids hate me? These are just a couple things that I worry about on my journey to becoming a teacher. On the other hand I am excited. I am excited to make a difference in even just one kid’s life. I am excited for everyday to be a new adventure. I am excited to get to spend every day with unique, individual, important children. I am scared of the challenges I might face as a teacher, but I am also eager to tackle the challenges that come my way. Teaching to me can be such a fulfilling career if you let it.

A huge factor in me finally deciding to become a teacher was feedback from other people in my life. I always wondered if I should be a teacher. I love kids, but I never had the confidence to take that step in becoming an actual teacher. I loved my Early Childhood Education classes I was taking and I was good at them. It came naturally to me, but I was still on the fence about actually becoming a teacher. It wasn’t until I started noticing a trend in what people were saying to me. It started with a high school teacher asking if I was going into education and saying if I wasn’t it was wasted potential. A couple years later one of my old principals was taking to me about going back to school and using my skills to become a teacher. Around the same time a parent that I was working for at my daycare told me I should seriously consider going back to school to be a teacher. These comments seriously boosted my confidence and made me rethink that maybe I could be a teacher if I really wanted to. If other people could see it in me then I should be able to see it in myself. Since starting my education degree I have had mixed emotions. I am scared about whether I have the drive to do it, but then I think about myself in a classroom and I get excited. Becoming a teacher is going to be a hard and long journey, but I truly think that it will be worth it. I am Kassidy Madigan. I am a future teacher.