Educating Digital Detectives and Critical Thinkers

June 10, 2024 0 By Kate Johnson

Fact or fake, black letters on yellow background

My grade range is pre-k to grade five, so I will teach every subject. As stated in my last post, I want to ensure that all my students know how to safely use digital tools/platforms. This includes educating them on digital literacy and enabling them to detect fake news so they can have the skills to help them in the future. The increase in fake news in today’s digital world is significant.

In elementary school, I remember learning about the Tree Octopus website. I know this website is used in many schools, but I think it is a good resource for introducing fake news and its dangers to young learners. While I have not done much research on this topic, I have read some interesting articles from class.

One of these articles, called Fake News, highlighted reasons why people are susceptible to misinformation. A few reasons include the ease with which people can create unverified content with apps, lack of fact-checking, connection to or the appeal of fake news stories, and more. In my opinion, the most effective approach for teaching digital literacy to younger students would be utilizing interactive and engaging activities where, as a class, we can assess what they think or believe is fake news or not. This approach is similar to what we did in the last class, and this approach would help build and enhance the student’s critical thinking skills.

You could easily integrate this into the curriculum through language arts, developing students’ critical thinking, reading, and writing skills and the ability to critically examine information, such as identifying biases and credibility of sources. Another would be health education, which would teach students about personal safety, decision-making skills, and well-being, all of which tie in with learning about digital citizenship.

Incorporating the goals of the NCTE framework into the class would involve integrating various resources that will foster critical thinking, ethical use of technology, and participation. Utilizing resources such as the Break the Fake quiz and Can You Spot the Fake News Headline is a great way to introduce this topic. Integrating digital literacy into the classroom for all grades is crucial for preparing students to navigate the digital world safely and responsibly. Thank you for reading!