Learning to Code

June 11, 2024 1 By Kate Johnson

I am not versed in coding, so I was excited to try my hand at it. I chose to work through the Star Wars Hour of Code activity we did in class because it looked intriguing. The first couple of levels were straightforward, which was a great introduction to coding, but they became more complex as the levels went on.

As I progressed through the levels, I encountered some complex challenges. Each challenge required me to arrange code blocks in a specific sequence to achieve the desired outcome. For instance, one challenge involved moving a character to collect a rebel pilot using “move droid up” and “move droid right” blocks. Throughout the levels, my curiosity was piqued, and I was always eager to see the results of my code. It was rewarding to see my character successfully navigate the environment based on the instructions I provided. After finishing all the levels, I was surprised by how easy it was to write code. Upon completing them, I felt a sense of accomplishment, especially when I received a certificate.

I do not know much about coding, but after trying out one of the Hour of Code activities, I realized it is not as intimidating as it first seemed. Coding is essential in and outside of school as it powers the technology we use daily and allows us to control devices more efficiently. One of the significant takeaways I learned from this experience was that each task requires a step-by-step thinking process. Each activity or task requires critical and logical thinking, which in turn helps build problem-solving skills. Coding can help students understand sequences, build their problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, and foster creativity as they can make their own code. Overall, my experience with coding was engaging. I not only got to learn the basics of coding, but I also got to create my own game!