What was it like growing up in North Battleford?

Hi! Welcome! If you’re reading this, thank you so much for being here! So, as you can read by the title, yes, I was born and raised in North Battleford, and trust me, there is no need to feel sorry. I love it there.

Fun Fact: Since moving to Regina, the most common thing I am told while getting to know someone is how sorry they are for where I am from. I get a kick out of this, but trust me, it’s not so bad. My name is Kate Nichol, and I am in my second year in the Faculty of Education, working on my Middle Years Degree.

I grew up in a family of five and am the oldest of my brother and sister. Growing up, I played basketball and volleyball. However, I wasn’t the strongest player, but I still took pride in riding the bench. Fact: I got a Hoopla Gold Medal and barely broke a sweat aside from warm-up. Gotta look at the bright side, am I right?

I am one of the biggest Marvel geeks you will ever meet. I love movies, lots of movies. I found a new love for knitting over the past year. However, my skill level stops at a rectangle, so depending on how big of a rectangle you are after, you’ll get a scarf or a blanket. I adopted my dog, Kaiser, two years ago, and he is 100% the center of my universe. Unfortunately, I don’t have him here with me in Regina, but I try to visit as much as possible!

My history with technology and media.

I consider my knowledge base for technology and media to be average. Being a 20-year-old in 2023, I can confidently say that I can tell you almost anything you need to know about how to work an iPhone, along with the apps Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat. But, regarding technology in education, computers, different software, resources, etc. I think that I fell a little short. I am taking this course to improve my skills and be as technically aware as I need to, to succeed in the technological world of teaching. I know that the generation of students I will be teaching one day will be very knowledgeable about how to use and operate new technology, so I need to make sure I stay ahead of the game. And that means starting here, in a university class, learning to get around platforms like the one I am using now. The patience I have had to learn for myself and this blogging process has been very trying on me, let me tell ya. For my Learning Project, I want to explore the world of filming and editing while also attempting to write a short film!