EDTC300,  Learning Project

The One-Eyed Bandit

This week, I decided to try out the water colour paint brush to create with this week. But, I have noticed that I love to play around with different styles and aspects of creating. I haven’t found my specific style so far, or I’m just having too much fun exploring all the creative options.

With this being said, this week I’ve created a one-eyed pony. As much as that is such a random thing to create, I would have to say that it is completely inspired by a children’s book that I have written. Although currently the pony in the book doesn’t have one eye, and thank good I’m not the one illustrating it as it then would probably turn into a one-eyed pony. As I found out today that drawing two eyes that look symmetrical is something that I very much struggle with. With that being said maybe, that will be my next project post is figuring out how to draw symmetrical eyes.

Creatively speaking this guy, was my most intricate design that I have completed. I used about 5 different types of pens to complete the overall design. Firstly, I started with Mercury brush, then for the background I used the water paint brush which allowed for a better blend between the of the sky. Then I went back to the Mercury brush for the cactus out lines, and then used both Thy and Sawtooth for inside the cactus to give it some more depth and texture. Then for the pony himself I used the charcoal pencil try to replicate the different texture of his coat. While the saddle was again outline with the Mercury brush, but filled in with the Membrane brush. Once again just trying to give it lots of different textures and dimensions throughout the art.

For this project, I used the procreate “Beginners Series” post to figure my way around the app and what I wanted to use in conjunction to where I wanted it. I found it to be quite useful, and it showed me a couple things that I don’t know you could do on the app to begin with.  Overall, I’m very proud of this little guy in comparison to my first drawing of “BunBun”.

Thanks for reading!

• Mariia Selivanova

Hi Katelyn! Exploring all the creative options is a part of the journey and I’m glad you’re enjoying it! I love that you chose to create a one-eyed pony inspired by a children’s book you read. It looks great!! Drawing symmetrical eyes can be tricky but it’s a great skill to work on. Thanks for sharing your progress and good luck next week!

• Hailey Harris

Hi Katelyn!
    That’s amazing that you write children’s books! What are some of the books you have written? I love that this pony is inspired by a book you are currently working on. It looks beautiful, even if it has just one eye. I can imagine how difficult it is to make the eye symmetrical, as it’s hard to line up. Have you tried to use guidelines before? Some of my friends from high school used to do this when creating human faces and it seemed to help them. It may be worth trying if it works for animals. Here is a website I found talking about how to use guidelines: https://rapidfireart.com/2015/12/07/how-to-draw-a-face-in-8-steps/

Thank you for your post! I am excited to see your future pieces!