Cell Phones in Class? No Thanks!

Hello everyone!
P.C Credit

https://medium.com/@brent.urwin/do-mobile-phones-have-a-place-in-the-classroom-262f07768c5b

Well!! It’s really difficult to respond whether cell phones should be allowed in classroom when I live in a tech-savvy society and studying in an advanced country where technology plays such a significant part and everyone is attracted to their gadgets. To be honest, I am not anti about technology even I love using smartphones and other gadgets where technology makes your tasks easier, and in the same way, our students are learning as we set an example. If I talk about the debate held yesterday, my question is in how much or at what period is it befitting for them to use their phone? Should they incorporate them in their classroom? Why? Otherwise, if they have the answer, I should record the class. My question is, why are you in a class if you do not want to listen to your teacher properly? Isn’t it an excuse! I even have a solution—I will take a video of the session myself, however your mobile should not be allowed. Another question or query comes up; “I have to text my mom, she is quite anxious!” Is it really so? What could be the answer at that point?” Asking such questions is as natural as breathing to Jules. My answer is: a particular rule that can be set is that there will be no use of cell phones in the class. The least it can be expected from a school is for parents to know that their children are safe and in the case of any incident, the school updates the information on the school app. School should be the area where technology will be used but in a wise manner.

Own experience without Cell phone

I have experience from India and in my school even teachers were not allowed to use mobile phones. In case of any emergency, then the family members of a teacher would call the coordinator’s office or the school. Phones should remain in the locker room so that we can build an environment and being an example to emulate in the students. Every time the authority of the school even limited the data to block other applications or even search engines in the computer labs. If students wanted something, an E. A. would pull up next to the child and get it on spoken permission.

There are numerous compelling reasons for students leaving their cell phones outside the classroom:

Distractions, Distractions Everywhere!

https://thebakerorange.com/11157/voices/cellphones-create-classroom-distraction/

First and foremost, let’s not mislead ourselves, cell phones are like little miniatures, carry around black holes of attention. I mean, who has not gotten carried away by Instagram or twitter of even lost in the snap of a finger in TikTok? In the classroom it is exponentially multiplied. Rather than paying attention to that brilliant Science reactions, Mathematical al or the interesting story of English or history lesson, students are engaged in taking selfies, texting their friends.The teacher looks frustrated and I have to admit I would feel frustrated too in such a situation. For example, teachers at a New York high school stated that pupils who were not allowed to use their phones in class shown better interest and increased performance on assignments and assessments. The school’s principal stated that the ban on cell phones resulted in a more focused and productive learning environment.

Mental Health Matters

It is probably worthy to remember the psychological side as well. It results in anxiety and stress due to the many notifications a user has to check on the screen.

https://www.peshprints.com/opinion/2024/05/06/distractions-in-class-how-phone-dependent-societies-affect-students-worldwide/

The frequent disruptions prevented learning and slowed curriculum coverage. These continual distractions generated major worries about the pupils’ mental health, particularly increasing anxiety and attention issues as mentioned in this videoSchools are not supposed to cause stress in children; they are institutions where children go to learn and grow.

Banned phones in Classroom: Boosting Academic Performance

https://www.scmp.com/yp/discover/your-voice/article/3116589/face-will-online-learning-replace-traditional-schooling

In fact, all the high school teachers across the nation face phone use in the classroom despite the district’s policies. The Non-locking pouches seem to have a possibility of reducing interference thus allowing the pupils to concentrate on learning without interference. Whenever the students are not using the screens, they are more attentive, they contribute and even understand better.

Academic Integrity

Cell phones in classrooms become a severe concern in regards to the academic honesty.  It becomes easier for students using search engines to look for standard answers during tests, or simply use Messenger, and My word! answers can be sought on social media platforms from fellow students instead of evaluations, thus eroding trust between students and teachers.

Black elementary student typing text message while secretly using cell phone during a class at school.

Cyber-bullying

Another disadvantage of using mobile phones is that it tops up the rates of cyber-bullying that is on the rise in learning institutions. Through phone calls, the teenagers may harass or else abuse their classmates during school or every night, which in turns brings unhealthy environment in school.

and MANY MORE REASONS…

A question many teachers including me have asked; is the use of cell phones in the classrooms appropriate? To that let us look at the other side.

Despite my conviction about the general conductance of banning gadgets in class particularly the cellular phones, I think that there are advantages of allowing cellular phones for teaching purposes. Let’s look at the arguments supporting cell phone use in schools:

Improved Communication and Safety

Some believes that by having cell phones in learning institutions communication and safety can boost up. Additionally, the kids can dial their caretakers or local emergency services to guarantee that critical issues are solved quickly. Teachers also get the advantage of having interaction with administrators or the support staff during problems that require immediate intervention.

Access to Digital Resources

Cell phones are one of the most important technologies in the education since pupils in many schools cannot afford tablets and desktops. They can apply digital textbooks, educational applications, and other tools integrating with classroom learning. By allowing this, it enhances the academic standards for the students and at the same time training them on how to apply technology at their workplaces in future.

Improved communication, safety, and efficiency

Perhaps, cell phones can save lives in classrooms. During an emergency child can quickly call the parents or any emergency state helpline numbers and teachers can quickly call principals or any staff member. This means subjection of the educators *insert immediate access* and prompt reaction to significant situations; thus, enhancing the safety of the education setting for all the stakeholders. Also, using cell phones to display digital materials decreases textbook price and contributes to simple processes like attendance and scheduling. This helps pupils always to be informed and that the teachers may not be spending much of their time doing paperwork, but on teaching instead.

Final Thoughts

In the modern world of innovations, debate on whether cell phones should be allowed in schools is not a simple one. All in all, the positive impacts of technology on learning cannot be denied, although, there are risks of learners wandering off from the learning path, cases of plagiarism and even cases of learners’ health issues. Cell phone restrictions in classrooms are not punitive or from another era; they are designed to allow children a chance at success devoid of unnecessary interference. Let us assist them in maintaining the goal, reduce anxiety and get the best out their school experience. 
Thanks for reading.
Until next time!!

9 thoughts on “Cell Phones in Class? No Thanks!

1. This was a great breakdown of your thoughts, and I loved being able to hear about your experience in India.

I am in the boat of (I am going to say it again, even though we said it 1000 times in class) cell phones are not going anywhere and we need to teach our students and children how to be able to put them down when in class, and when it is appropriate to use phones. Since they have learned how to use them, we need to teach them how not to use them. I personally love having my phone for access to do attendance when my computer is used or when we don’t have wifi for the 70th time that month. I also love being able to contact who I need to quickly without relying on the children, especially in emergency situations.

• Yes, I can understand. Finding a balance is crucial. It is all about establishing clear boundaries for when and how phones should be used in the classroom which is extremely difficult Though. Thank you for sharing your thoughts—they are absolutely an important part of the discussion!

2. Thanks for such a thorough response! You highlighted both sides of the debate well. I too have difficulty opening up to allowing cell phones in the classroom. I am kind of an old soul, and it hurts knowing so many of my middle school students go home and just sit on their phones until they go to sleep. If school is one place they take a break from that constant stimulation and can gain in person social skills I think that is what needs to happen! Granted, I do have access to school technology devices that my students can use to complete research tasks!

3. Hi Kavita,
    I really enjoyed your post, and I agree with all the points that you have made about why we should not use phones in class. When it comes to the arguments that you have in favour of allowing them in the classroom, I would say I’m afraid I have to disagree, in particular with the one that is about improving communication, safety and efficiency. In case of an emergency, it is better for students not to have a phone than to have one, as it will cause more panic. I will share my experience on this. At the end of last school year, we had a lockdown. Something was happening in the neighbourhood, and the school went on lockdown for safety reasons. We returned to normal within 20-30 minutes, and everything ended without concerns. During that time, the families were sent an email explaining what was happening. Now, imagine if the students accessed their cell phones and started calling or texting their parents. Imagine what could have happened. All parents would have called the office or showed up to keep their kids safe when they did not need to do this. So, I would say that in this case, the absence of a cell phone helped to maintain a more calm environment and allowed the school to manage the situation more effectively.

• Yes, Ofcourse! When an authorized person will access it for some ‘administrative purpose’ I think such security issues can be resolved. I just believe in one thing… Whatever is happening in school when it must go through school it will be perceived or proceed in some different way, however if students elaborate the same matter in different form, the representation would entirely change…”More the minds(word of mouth) involved and more different and difficult situations will arises ultimately”. POV: Writing what is in my mind right now… sorry for harsh wording

4. Your post offers a thorough and balanced examination of the debate over cell phone usage in classrooms. I particularly appreciate your detailed arguments for and against their use, backed by personal experiences and thoughtful analysis. The main takeaway for me is the importance of creating a structured and well-considered policy to manage cell phone use effectively. Given your experiences and observations, what specific guidelines or strategies do you think could be implemented to balance the educational benefits of cell phones with the need to minimize distractions and maintain a focused learning environment?

5. I agree that it is not conducive to having a cell phone in the classroom but on the other hand, it is required for many other things. I think it comes down to both the administration and the teachers about whether they want it, do not want it or ban it.