Technology and Society: The Equity Illusion – Isn’t More Hype Than Reality?

Hello everyone!

Today I will be sharing my views on the last debate of the topic: “Technology has led to a more equitable society“. On the face of it, it may sound like a cool thing, isn’t it? Every day we read such an amazing stories about how tech is making information accessible to everyone, people from different parts of the world are now connected, and everyone has an opportunity to be employed. And I think it’s like a wonder or sweet bullet that automatically solves all our complex issues and equalizes all of our opportunities.

The article by Suzanne K. Damarin’s highlights in her important work how solving the digital divide needs more than just providing access to technology. Her five principles for equitable technology use: parsimony (keeping technology simple and cost-effective), accessibility (ensuring that all students have access to technology), multiplicity (providing diverse technological options), separability (allowing independent use of different technologies), and full utility (maximizing technology benefits for all users). To effectively address various needs, technology must be integrated wisely and inclusively, rather than just placing a tablet in every student’s hands.

https://www.govtech.com/education/k-12/k-12-digital-divide-persists-in-device-access-media-creation

But I have a question, Can you picture a place where everyone, no matter their location, has the same knowledge, educational materials, and the same job offers? It might sound like a fairy tale!

But is it really living up to hype that has been produced around it? From my perspective, the answer is a bit more complicated, and I’m leaning towards a “no. ”

The Digital Divide is Still Huge

https://medium.com/seainsights/a-closer-look-at-the-digital-divide-2d2a4307454d

I agree, we have some amazing tech tools at our fingertips, but let’s be real: technology has advanced in such areas, however, not everybody is equally benefiting from these advancements. Since the nature of this technology is viewed as a human augmentation tool, there are still significant gaps concerning who is included in the class of beneficiaries. The concept of the ‘digital divide‘ is a broader concept than just the access to the technology tool or its absence. In this regard, technology gap defined by the Statistics Canada refers to a number of dimensions such as internet access, posses of the necessary device and adequate technological competency. The information clearly shows this as a battle between the ‘those who have’ and the ‘those who haven’t’ which proves that technology cannot eliminate the inequality in education.

Personal Experience:

I would like to share a part of my own experience that can illustrate this concept. I come

https://www.compassoffices.com/en/about-us/blogs/what-causes-slow-internet-speed-in-the-office/

from India, where several of the tools and apps available in Canada were nowhere in sight for me. For instance, the student here was expecting reliable high-speed internet as a right, while in reality, in a country such as India or others, it is not; many of the educational apps or platforms that students here use were either nonexistent or prohibitively expensive. I recall using some of the online learning tools specifically during COVID times and realized that internet connection makes this very challenging or some resources are banned altogether. It was like running a race with a bag on the back while others were running the race bare foot.

Now, residing in Canada, one can see the difference categorically. Here, the scenario is somewhat more advanced and it looks like the majority of people has a possibility to get

https://workprep.ca/virtual-reality/

the first-hand experience with technologies. I myself have enrolled in Virtual reality to know about skills in Regina and how to better prepare for interviews with A.I practice. I have seen and heard through many people about the Facilities available in the schools are having modern day computers, fastest form of internet connection and there is a world full of educational material on internet (not everywhere). Students here do not have to put themselves through a cycle of wondering if they will be able to download the newest learning app or if their internet connection will allow them to get through a critical online class. This seems me to be important as it highlights how biased the competition is.

Thus, if tech can create an equal society, then the message is fantastic, but the process is far from being as perfect as it sounds. Even it is not about having all new gadgets or the best internet connection possible. It is about who can fully capitalize on those tools and who is left out. And that is why I don’t believe it. What do you think?

Oh, Mr. Science and Technology, are you really making the world a level playing field as you have claimed or are you contributing to the division of society into the haves and the have nuts?

Okay, let’s have a look how it goes “Going With The Flow”..!!!

4 thoughts on “Technology and Society: The Equity Illusion – Isn’t More Hype Than Reality?

1. WOW I loved reading your perspective – especially because you have that first hand experience. It really puts things into real time and help to know whee the downfalls are. It reminds me of when I have travelled. My family would always be asking for updates and get worried if I hadn’t talked to them in a couple days, but I did not always have wifi or access to what I needed in order to contact them.

2. Hi Kavita, thank you for stating useful information. I heard about Regina prep center, but did not collaborated with them yet. I am intrigued by the experience you shared. I wish everyone could get similar access to technology, but in reality I don’t know if its possible. .

3. Your post provides a detailed and thought-provoking analysis of the illusion of equity in technology. I particularly appreciate your personal experiences and the critical examination of the digital divide. The main takeaway for me is the significant gap between access to technology and the ability to utilize it effectively, highlighting the ongoing challenges in achieving true equity.

4. Hi Kavita. Your experiences in equity were good to read and I always enjoy them. There are so many problems when it comes to equity. I agree that connectivity is very real problem in India and to imagine an equitable society is impossible…