My Thoughts on “EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY”…………..

robot, character, cartoon
Photo by andremsdesign on Pixabay

In the present times, the integration of digital tools, resources, and practices to improve teaching and learning processes is referred to as educational technology. It also involves the strategic application of technology to support educational advancement, accessibility, and innovation.

Throughout history, educational technology has progressed from straightforward teaching tools to intricate digital ecosystems. A great summary of this development may be found in Tony Bates’ “A Short History of Educational Technology,” which highlights significant turning points including the use of radio and television in the classroom, the development of personal computers, and the creation of the internet. Every technological development aims to raise the quality of education by increasing the accessibility and interactivity of learning. Neil Postman’s “Five Things We Need to Know About Technological Change” provides a critical viewpoint on the effects of technology, serving as a helpful reminder that all technologies have advantages as well as disadvantages. In the context of EdTech, Postman highlights the importance of closely examining technological advancements and their effects on society.

My experience with educational technology began during my early education. Initially, it felt like a supplement, used for presenting information. However, as I progressed through my studies and professional experiences, my perspective evolved. In my academic years, educational technology was limited to PowerPoint presentations and computer labs, making information more accessible but not fundamentally changing the learning process. During my graduate studies, educational technology became more integral, highlighting its potential to create engaging, interactive, and personalized learning environments.

The “Media Debate,” which pitted Clark and Kosma against one another, also brought viewpoints regarding the use of media in education. Kosma maintained that when media is integrated well, it can improve learning, contrary to Clark’s claim that media does not affect learning at all. This discussion highlights the significance of how educational technology is applied, as opposed to the technology itself.

As an educator, I have used educational technology to enhance teaching practices, including interactive tools, and digital assessments to support pedagogical goals. I used various new technological tools including graphic designing in courses like EC & I 804 Curriculum Development which made me feel confident. I have discovered that my experience as an educator in public schools and the Internet’s function has influenced my understanding of educational technology. Through the internet, I can now conduct topic research, find evidence for ideas, and pick up new knowledge. However, I didn’t get any exposure to technology like Smartboards, computers, laptops, and applications until I started working. The usage of computers and iPads gave me a better perspective on the benefits of technology for those students who face problems academically.

My comprehension of EdTech has been molded by an ongoing process of learning and adjustment, reflecting the ever-changing dynamic nature of education itself.