My Journey as an ‘Educator’………

path, trip, road
Photo by souandresantana on Pixabay

I have been in the teaching profession for the last 9 years. Last year, I got a chance to pursue my studies with my ‘Master of Education (M.Ed) ‘ at the University of Regina, Saskatchewan. Before coming to Canada, I lived in India with my family and friends. Several theories and philosophies that influence my teaching journey include constructivist theories of knowledge and learning, which have greatly impacted my classroom practices. My teaching method is based on experiential learning, integrating project-based learning, simulations, and field trips to encourage hands-on activities and real-world application of knowledge.

According to constructivism, students build knowledge through experiences and reflection. Piaget emphasized developmental phases and learning as expanding on existing knowledge, while Vygotsky introduced the Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) and highlighted the importance of social interaction. My teaching method is based on experiential learning, integrating project-based learning, simulations, and field trips to encourage hands-on activities and real-world application of knowledge.

In my years of teaching, my views on knowledge and learning have changed as I’ve gained experience and participated in professional development. At the beginning of my career, behaviorist theories, especially B.F, influenced me. Skinner’s work on operant conditioning and the use of reinforcement in learning. However, with more experience, I found that behaviorism, while having its merits, often does not encourage deep, conceptual understanding. As a result, I shifted towards embracing constructivist approaches, which prioritize meaningful learning and the development of critical thinking skills.

I used to be afraid of incorporating technology into my teaching, fearing it might be more of a distraction than a learning aid. However, after reading Neil Postman’s “Five Things We Need to Know About Technological Change” and Tony Bates’ “A Short History of Educational Technology,” I have come to recognize the potential of technology to revolutionize education. I now utilize technology to facilitate interactive learning, provide immediate feedback, and create engaging, personalized learning experiences.

Although I strongly support constructivist approaches, I have also come to appreciate the value of direct instruction in certain situations. I’ve realized that not all students thrive in purely exploratory environments, and some concepts require explicit teaching for foundational understanding. As a result, I have adopted a more balanced approach, integrating direct instruction when necessary while still emphasizing active, student-centered learning.

My journey as an educator has been characterized by continuous reflection and adaptation, ensuring that my classroom practices align with my evolving understanding of how students learn best. I eagerly anticipate further growth and exploration in this ever-evolving field, always intending to provide the most effective and meaningful learning experiences for my students.