About Me

My name is Keli Heroux and my pronouns are she/her. I am a white settler Canadian currently located on Treaty 4 Territory, however, am originally from Treaty 6 Territory. I am in my third year of elementary education at the University of Regina. Teaching has been a passion of mine for many years and I am excited to continue my journey in becoming an educator.

I am very passionate about camp ministry and have served at a bible camp for the past five years. I enjoy teaching and learning alongside kids in a fun, inclusive environment. Camp is where I first realized I wanted to be an educator.

Mapping Activity

“Hi everyone, my name is Keli Heroux. I created three separate maps in order to share my sense of place more fully.

The first map depicts the areas of Saskatchewan I have lived or am currently living in. I recognize that I have lived in both Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 territory and am mindful and humbled to live in these spaces.

This next map shows the space that I call home, Warman Saskatchewan, on Treaty 6 territory. Warman is located north of Saskatoon, near the south Saskatchewan river. I remember making many trips to the river to enjoy the wildlife and greenery as the river flowed by.

Wanuskewin Heritage park is located near Warman and was a place where my Indigenous knowledge first came to life. I remember coming with my classmates and learning more about Indigenous culture and about the natural beauty of the Saskatchewan plains. Wanukewin, which also means ‘gathering place’ is an area that shares the stories of the northern plains Indigenous people. I am grateful to have lived by such a beautiful park and historical sight.

The final map is of the city of Warman. My house was located in a court on the edge of the city. We were able to enjoy the views of the farmland outside our living room window. I have many fond memories of going sledding on the nearby hill in the winter. And spending hours at the Elementary school park with my friends. My map also shows many paths and trees because the city of Warman has gone above and beyond to bring people together through nature and lakes around our small city.

I am grateful for my sense of place and the privilege me and my white settler family has had to be on this land. Through this course and through my career I will continue to reflect and humble myself of the privilege I do have.”