Professional Development Plans

Inclusive Education Approaches

• Inclusive education has been more on my heart since taking ECS 303. I have grown to realize the importance of making sure all students feel included and a part of the classroom community.
    • I will work hard to build strong, lasting relationships with each of my students and their families.
    • I will work hard to create a safe space where all my students feel welcome.
    • I will have inclusive literature and visual resources within my classroom so that all students can see ‘themselves’ within the class.
    • I will work hard to get to know my students’ names and the proper way to pronounce them.

Encourage Parent Involvement

• I have learned the value of including parent involvement within the classroom community. Through connections within the school and home life students will be able to get a more well rounded education experience.
    • I will try and host a parent night (example: coffee and questions at the start of each term)
    • I will invite parents to come in share with the class (example: career day, community Elder, reading, etc.)
    • I will send home a monthly newsletter that will highlight what is going on in the classroom and how parents can get involved.
    • I will practice “good news calls” – to celebrate their child’s learning and growth.

Diverse Teaching Approaches

• I will use a multitude of teaching approaches to help all my students learn and feel confident in learning.
    • Inquiry-based approach
    • Independent learning
    • Group discussion
    • Strength-based approaches