Focus Question

Focus Question

Focus Question 1- How did you see teachers honouring different ways of knowing and doing in the classroom? In what ways did teachers build a sense of community in the classroom? In what ways can teachers build hospitable and invitational education environments and relationships with all students?

At Rosthern High School I saw many teachers building a sense of community in the classroom. From the first step I take into the classroom, I feel safe and welcomed by the teacher as I was always greeted when entering the classroom. Through the classroom, I always had a voice, and I was always able to share my ideas with everyone. As my teachers would always encourage us to share our thoughts so we know that we are being heard. I always had a good relationship with my teachers as that is an important part of being a teacher. My one teacher Mr.Kroeger would let a bunch of my friends and I eat in his classroom during lunch. We always had good chats with him about what is happening with our lives and if anything is happening throughout the school. Having this relationship with Mr.Kroeger, really made me feel like I was supported and respected in his classroom. Making a sense of community outside of the classroom is also important. At Rosthern High School every Monday morning we would have an assembly with the whole school together. I feel having an assembly brought our school community together. As everyone is together and there would be active during the assembly that brought all the grades together and made everyone feel welcomed. I saw teachers honoring different ways in the classroom. As some teachers would let some students present to them after class if they did not feel comfortable or have anxiety with presenting in front of people. I also saw teachers letting kids get extra help with schoolwork after the school day has ended. Some ways teachers can build a hospitable and invitational educational environment is greeting each student at the door when they enter the classroom. By greeting them every day will help them feel appreciated and welcomed when coming into your classroom. Another way is letting the students have a voice and making it clear that they are being heard will make them feel respected in your classroom.