Introduction to Learning Project

Welcome Everyone! Come along with me as I learn to to play the Piano and the song “Piano man” by Billy Joel!

For my learning project, I have decided to learn how to play the piano! I have always been told that when you play an instrument you use a different part of your brain so now I want to challenge myself with learning a new instrument. I want to learn how to play “Piano Man” by Billy Joel because that song holds a very special place in my heart. I played piano when I was very, very young but I don’t remember how to play anymore and I want to regain that knowledge by taking this semester to learn it again in full. 

I used to play the saxophone when I was in high school so I am able to read notes well and understand what they are! I quit playing the saxophone before Grade 12 because none of my friends played any instruments and I felt like an outsider. It made me stressed when I had to go to my saxophone lesson every Tuesday night instead of being able to hangout with my friends. I gave up playing the saxophone so I didn’t have a burden of going to my lessons during my last year of high school but I regret not being able to play an instrument anymore. Ever since I quit playing the saxophone, I have felt like I am not maximizing my brain to my full potential like I used to. Being able to play an instrument has shown me a lot about myself as a learner and my time management skills and I want to rekindle that passion. 

I want to learn the piano because I feel like it could be a way to connect with my future students who play an instrument. Students may be nervous to say that they play an instrument like I was, but if they know someone else who plays the same instrument as them or just an instrument in general, it will give them more confidence and shine in their passion. 

Simply Piano: Learning Piano Fast App

I am going to start my playing piano journey by using the Simply Piano app and the Skoove app! Both of these apps can be found on the Apple store. I am also planning on using videos that I can find on YouTube including the one I have embedded below. 

Skoove: Learn to Play Piano app

Using these two apps is a great way to get the basics down for reading and playing notes on the piano as a beginner. I want to be able to understand the hand placements on the keyboard and how to move my hands along the keys to play each note.

After I get the basics down (which may take a couple weeks), I am going to start slowly trying to play with both hands at the same time. I believe that I will struggle with this part the most. 

I have already finished the first piano lesson on the Simply Piano app and it was better than I expected for my first time! I able to find notes on a keyboard, name notes, and even play notes from sheet music!

By the end of my journey, I want to be able to play the song “Piano Man” by Billy Joel. I want to be able to play this fluently and without any beginner mistakes by the end of the semester! 

Wish me luck on this new and exciting journey!

2 Replies to “Introduction to Learning Project”

1. No waaay, this is amazing!!
    I LOOOVE piano man – it used to be my drive to work song!
    I’ll be living vicariously through you, can’t wait to hear it!

2. I love this idea, I played piano for 7 years and quit when I got into high school. I also have lost a lot of my ability to play because I didn’t keep up with it unfortunately. It’s such a beautiful instrument to play! Good luck in your learning journey and have fun with it!