Self-Story #3

The first time I realized my socioeconomic status was when I was in the first grade. At that time, I had a very good friend. Let’s call her “A”. A and I are very good in school, we play together all the time, and A’s grades are very good, but the strange thing is that she always wears that green school uniform, and there is always only one pencil and one black erase in her pencil box. I came from a middle-class family, live in a bright house and I have my own bedroom. At that time, I was young, so I thought that the family environment of all the children in the world was similar to mine. So although A never mentioned her family situation, I didn’t ask.

Until one day, I went to play with A, and A gave me the address of her home. When I arrived at his house, I was a little stunned. A’s home is very small and dim. A family of four lives in the room. The only light source for the family is a small light bulb. I suddenly understood why A always wears only one piece of clothing to school, and when the classmates in the class use scented erasers, A has only the black eraser.

I realized a few things, A’s family is financially, and not all children’s family situation is the same as mine. A few weeks after that, A suddenly disappeared. She did not come to school. When I went to find her house, her house was completely empty. I asked the neighbor next to her house. The reason moved away, I don’t know where it went. That was the first time I noticed the difference in our sociology-economic status.

A is a very smart girl, her grades are very good, she has no reason to leave the school, but in today’s society, money has the ability to decide everything. Sometimes at night, I often think about her and wonder if A family’s economic situation is better, may be will she not leave.

One thought on “Self-Story #3

1. Hi Keyan, this story is so good. It triggered many memories of similar instances in my childhood. I really like how you identified your friend as “A” as I have struggled in anonymous identification throughout the course. I do believe there is a thought of universality that courses through us as children where we don’t think of anyone as economically disadvantaged. I think it’s really good that you reflected on this memory. This was a really good blog post!