My #learningproject is to learn to knit something super basic. After doing some searching on the internet and checking out a couple of websites about what would be the easiest place to start, I decided that a scarf might be the easiest place to start. I found some “patterns” online – but they required you to buy like 8 balls of yarn and it would cost me over $100 to get the whole kit. So you can assume that is not the route I went.

I then went to my next saving grace – YouTube (it never disappoints me, even when I am teaching). I found this video and I truly love it because of the title: “How to Knit a Scarf for the Absolute Beginner”. I think the word ‘absolute’ is the perfect way to describe me starting this journey. I know absolutely nothing about knitting.

So after I found this video and listened to the beginning part of it, I obviously needed to go to the store to get the supplies. So I wrote down what the needle type was and the type of yarn and I hit the road to my nearest Walmart. When I got to the knitting aisle, I was immediately overwhelmed with the amount of choices for everything. I mean, look at how many types of needles there are!!

After rummaging around through all of these needles – looking for 6mm US 10 (whatever that means) – I found these two different types.

Then I thought I should reference the video in case I could find a different kind that looked more similar to the needles in the video. When looking back, she stated that she was using children sized needles and miraculously, I found some almost the exact same!

Now I needed to find the yarn that the lady uses in the video. This was the easy part!! I looked down the aisle and it literally popped out at me (get it, because its called “Bernat Pop”?) There were a few choices of colour schemes, but I decided to go a bit more neutral to match my personality and style (I do not like bright and obnoxious colours). This is what I decided on:

And after finding that, I decided it was time to head home and try to figure out where to go from here!! My plan is to try out this project for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes. If I am completely bored of it, I am thinking that I will try something else – maybe a small blanket for my cat. I plan to post weekly updates of photos and videos about how it is going. Stay tuned for my first trial at beginning my knitting journey!!