My Teaching Journey

Operation Strength Training

person holding black barbell
Photo by Victor Freitas on Pexels.com

Since the pandemic started, university has moved online, and sports/intramurals have been cancelled my physical activity levels have seriously dropped. Everyday I just sit at my desk and do zoom classes, pre-recorded lectures, readings, and assignments. I am averaging anywhere between 1,000 to 3,000 steps a day which is far below my 10,000 step goal I used to easily achieve. I honestly never would have thought that I would miss walking to classes, even in forty below weather. To go along with this, my sleep schedule was also way out of wack because I would be up late every night trying to get as much done as possible and then in the mornings I would always sleep in because you know with asynchronous classes I don’t HAVE TO get up early to do them. So, I made my first ever new years resolution to be more active and I figured this class would be perfect to sort of force me to stay on track.

In the past, on the rare occasion I do go to the gym, I go with high expectations to try the machines but there is always other people in there so I chicken out and just end up doing cardio the whole time (which I like to tell myself is better than nothing). Of course, since my Tik Tok algorithm knows me so well I keep seeing videos about other people that have the same kind of gym anxiety.

@allysonkelly_

The gym anxiety is real ✨ @chenoaajohnson #fyp #fitness

♬ Lofi – Domknowz

So, I have created a plan to slowly ease myself into strength training:

• Step 1: Start simple by learning various exercises with handheld weights in the comfort of the little gym in my apartment complex.
  • Step 2: Learn how to use the couple weight machines in my apartments little gym.
  • Step 3: Start actually using my Planet Fitness gym membership and begin learning the weight machines there.
  • Step 4: Learn how to effectively structure a workout using those machines so I can really look like what I am doing.
  • Step 5: This could quite possibly be the most nerve-racking step because it involves going to the scariest areas in planet fitness which is where the free weights and Smith machines are. However, my ultimate goal of strength training is pretty much learning how to use the Smith machine.

Normally, I would be a lot more comfortable working out with a friend because then you can kind of help guide each other but since we are in a pandemic, you aren’t allowed to buddy workout (or at least that’s what it says at Planet fitness) but I feel so awkward and lost by myself. But I am sure this will go away once I figure out all the machines and actually know what I am doing.

I also honestly like the idea of learning this from online sources because the idea of having like a personal trainer just also sounds scary. Since I seem to have found my way on to fitness Tik Tok lately, I have seen lots of accounts trying to help ease this gym anxiety by showing how to set up and properly use various machines. I even followed an account of a Planet Fitness employee showing their machines so I think that will be helpful. I also have Fitbit premium and they have a bunch of online workouts that I will have to go through and see if they will help at all. Other than that I think my main plan will be a lot of YouTube videos, googling questions and also searching for new apps that may help.

If anyone has any suggestions about good resources or some tips to help get me going, they would be greatly appreciated!

1. Haley Miller

Hey Kassia! What an awesome first blog post. I loved reading your plan. I too feel the same way about not hitting my 10,000 step goal. My Apple Watch is sending me a reminder to “stand-up” much too often during my online schooling. It has been such a change in pace the past *almost* year and it has been hard on my physical and mental health. Good for you for making this plan and setting a goal. Can’t wait to follow along!

• Kassia Nameth

Hi Haley!
      I totally relate to you. I got a new FitBit for Christmas and I had to turn off the step reminders because I would just get frustrated if I was in the middle of class, reading, or assignment. Maybe I should turn them back on while I am doing this learning project!

2. Caleb Lueck

Hey Kassia,
    I think this is a super great goal and is going to be extremely beneficial. Moving to online learning has definitely had a huge impact on all of us and we are all finding ways to stay physically and mentally healthy. I am not much help when it comes to using equipment, but one channel on YouTube that I have been using for a few years now is HASFit. They have a ton of great workouts and they provide multiple variations on each movement they do, so I think they could really help you when achieving Step 1 of you mission. Overall I think you have a really great plan laid out and I wish you all the best on your journey!

• Kassia Nameth

Hello Caleb!

Thanks for the feedback! That YouTube channel sounds great, I will definitely check it out!

3. Maya Rosenberg

Hi Kassia,

This is an awesome goal! I am also trying to get more fit and your journey inspired me to get going more too! I used to go to the gym so trying to also find what works where possible now. I use an app for running called Strava , may not be as helpful for free weights, but it helps me keep in mind I have a goal to remember and gets me moving. My mental health took a hit when I started sitting so much and moving less. Thanks for sharing this and inspiring me to get moving too!

Maya

• Kassia Nameth

Hello Maya!
      Thanks for your reply, I’m so glad I inspired you to get moving, we can be in this together! I will have to check out the Strava app and see if/how I can incorporate it.