My Teaching Journey

Classmate Recommendations For The Win

crop woman with laptop and dumbbell on sports mat
Photo by Karolina Grabowska on Pexels.com

I was very busy this past week with papers and midterms, so the at-home type workout videos really came in handy because they are so quick and convenient. Thankfully, I didn’t even have to research for some good at-home videos because my classmates gave me so many good recommendations at the start of the semester!

First up…

For my first workout of the week I checked out the MadFit YouTube channel which Sydney Kawa recommended to me! I started off with the 10 MIN FULL UPPER BODY Workout and then decided that I would end with the 15 MIN TIKTOK DANCE PARTY WORKOUT (which I kind of ended up doing twice as you will see in my video). I actually really enjoyed both of these workouts! The only thing that I wasn’t a fan of was that during the dance workout there were ALOT of ads. But they did give me time to catch my breath so maybe they were strategically placed throughout the video – IDK. However, the ads weren’t a deal breaker or anything and I can definitely see myself going back to this channel for workouts!

Up next…

For my second video of the week I decided that I would try out the Nike Training Club App that Trista Kennett recommended! It was very easy to set up the app, you just had to make an account and then it asked you about your current physical activity.

I initially tried to set up an actual workout plan and I decided to do “Gym Strong” because it seemed the most fitting for strength and it incorporated gym equipment.

But after I looked at the workouts in each plan I realized that each piece of gym equipment that was required (pull up bar, rowing machine, medicine ball) my apartment gym did not have. And I also realized that the “Gym Strong” plan was the hardest of all the plans, so I decided that I would start out by just doing a couple of the video workouts on the app.

The yoga video was a last minute addition because the Bi’s and Tri’s video didn’t have a great cool down and I remembered that last week Alexandra Crammond recommended yoga as something that could help recovery from strength training!

1. Presley Allen

Hey Kassia!

Thanks for sharing all of these videos this week. I find the amount of YouTube workout pages overwhelming, so it is nice to have some recommendations to check out. I have never used, MadFit…I will definitely be trying the Dance Party Workout!

I have also used the Nike Training Club App. I agree that it is sometimes hard to find workouts for the minimal equipment I have at home.

Thanks for sharing the workout motivation!

-Presley

• Kassia Nameth

Hi Presley!

Thanks for the reply! It’s actually kind of fun reviewing different online workouts so I’m am happy to try about out and let people know which ones I enjoyed and why! I still have a couple more different workout videos that people have recommended to me that I want to review as part of this learning project but right now I think the most fun one was the MadFit Dance workout. So, I encourage you to try one out and if you do let me know what you think!

2. slb257

Hey Kassia,
    I love the range of work outs you are incorporating into your weekly routine. I would probably really appreciate those ads in the dance work out even if they were strategically placed. Working out is so great for your mind, I bet you felt amazing after and had time to focus and calm before your midterms. Excited to see what you will be challenging yourself with next week. I might possibly join a previous workout you have done this semester to give it a try!
    -Shana

• Kassia Nameth

Hi Shana!

I’m glad you like the range! I get bored of things very easily so trying out a bunch of different online workouts has been very enjoyable for me! Also, if you are interested in doing one of the previous workouts I have done this semester we could potentially do it together over zoom like I did with Caelyn! Or if you’d rather just do it on your own that’s perfectly understandable but you should let me know how it goes!

3. Sydney Kawa

Hi Kassia!
    I am so happy to see that you used my recommendation! I have never actually noticed the ads before in some of her videos, usually, fitness YouTubers do not allow for this to happen, but maybe like you said, they are strategically placed and allow for a nice break. If you get the time you should definitely try the ‘Intentions’ by Justin Bieber dance workout video. I have so much fun with that one every single time! Also, I love how you incorporated both videos and pictures within your blog adding contrast and a sense of the reader being your friend! I had so much fun reading this blog post! Do you feel like you are growing stamina and having a fun time with your learning project? I cannot wait to read your blog post for next week! I wish you all the best!

• Kassia Nameth

Hey Sydney!
      Ooooo I will have to try that dance one next! I’m really glad you enjoyed my blog post, I typically struggle with putting too many words that it doesn’t look “blog-y” enough so I find adding more pictures and videos helps me stay away from just paragraphs of text. In regards to my stamina, it’s kind of strange because when I’m actually doing the exercises I can’t tell if I necessarily feel stronger but I can definitely push myself more and the videos don’t seen as difficult as they did in the beginning (which is a little hard to compare because I do something different every week). I actually think I have noticed more of a change when I’m doing cardio, especially in online spin classes I feel like I can go longer before I’m completely gassed.

4. Payge Langmo

Kassia,
    I really like that you incorporated classmate suggestions into your plan this week, it really shows how the class community can work together! I also really enjoyed how you showed sign up processes for each app, as well as, reviews of the apps you used. These posts are definitely making me want to start focussing more on my fitness!
    Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of the semester!