My Teaching Journey

A Little #edtc400 Guidance and a Dash of Lockdown One Nostalgia

woman doing online yoga class
Photo by Tim Samuel on Pexels.com

Some #edtc400 advice…

For my first workout this week I took some advice from my #edtc400 mentor Caleb Lueck! At the start of the semester he recommended the YouTube channel HASfit. I scrolled through their channel and they have a whole bunch of beginner weight training videos and then also strength training videos for once you move past the beginner stages. After browsing around I decided to do the 15 Min Beginner Weight Training for Beginners Workout: Strength Training Dumbbell Workouts. My favorite part of the video was that they offered modified movements if you found some of the moves too difficult, I didn’t really find that I needed to use the modified movements except for the pushups. I can definitely see myself coming back to this channel. I think next time I would do a longer workout because surprisingly this one seemed too short.

Next, a little first lockdown throwback…

Since it has almost been a year since we went into our first lock down I figured I would do a little throwback workout. During the first lockdown the Chloe Ting workout channel was extremely popular, especially on TikTok. During first quarantine I did the 2 Weeks Shred Challenge with my mom and I think it was the first workout plan I’ve ever fully completed.

@savan11

I find this funny if u don’t get it u will soon enough #greenscreen #everydayscience #hoopsathome #foryou #fyp #petvlog

♬ Chloe Tingggg – Savannah

So, for my second workout I decided to do Cloe Ting’s Get Abs in 2 WEEKS video. I chose this one because I haven’t really done any ab specific workout yet during this learning project. I also really like this video because it is short but it will have your abs burning the whole time.

Trying something new…

I probably had a little too much fun making this weeks learning project videos on Animoto! The app was very easy to use and I was surprised how well it worked for documenting workouts. I didn’t think I would like having text instead of doing a voiceover but I was pleasantly surprised. However, I would like to hear some feedback from you guys! If you have viewed some of my other blog posts what do you like better? The voice over or the text? Or if you have a different type of video suggestion let me know in the comments!

1. Janelle Boutin

Hey Kassia!
    Back during the first lockdown I hopped on the home-workout trend but surprisingly enough I never heard of Chloe Ting’s ab challenge on Tik Tok! I went and checked it out right away after you mentioned it in your post… did it work for you when you did it with your mom? I might try it out!
    Also, great video on Animoto! I think voiceover is a cool feature in a video- but text in it also serves a purpose!

• Kassia Nameth

Hi Janelle!
      Thanks for the reply! I found it did work well when I did it with my mom. I liked that it was only two weeks and every day was a different combination of videos so you never really got bored of anything!

2. bsa898

Hey Kassia,

It’s great that your learning project is going so well! I’ve had an incredibly busy past two weeks, so I haven’t been able to get to the gym as much as I would like, but the great thing about fitness is you can always come back to it and pick up where you left off pretty easily. Do you have a specific end goal in mind by the end of this learning project?

Good luck with future posts!

–Branden

• Kassia Nameth

Hi Branden!
      Thanks for the reply! At the beginning of my project, my main goal was to get to an actual gym and be comfortable with all the machines and equipment there. But I have kind of been tweaking that because I find it is very difficult to follow online workout tutorials/videos when you are in an actual gym. So, I kind of shifted my focus more on just learning different aspects of strength training from at-home videos. Now, I think my main goal is to learn enough that I can know how to properly structure a workout for myself and then I also think it would be cool if I tried to lead a workout for my friends of zoom or something. So, that’s kind of where I am at right now!