My Teaching Journey

Stumbled My Way Back on Fitness TikTok

person holding black android smartphone
Photo by cottonbro on Pexels.com

As you have most likely gathered from the title of this week’s blog post, I managed to end up fitness TikTok this week. Like seriosuly every single video was ethier about working out or eating healthy and boy did that take the joy out of scrolling through my fyp. However, there is an upside because it gave me all sorts of virtual workout ideas to potentially try!

I ended up deciding to check out the suggestion from the second TikTok that is linked above for Caroline Girvan YouTube Channel.

Except I somehow accidentally ended up doing the beginner one which apparently does not include weights (even though the whole reason I picked this channel is because the TikTok said it was a dumbbell workout and I still picked the wrong one somehow). Throughout the whole first half of the workout I was just waiting for her to say “grab your weights” but it never happened and I didn’t realize my mistake until after the fact.

Okay I had to talk very fast in this video so here is a list of the exercises (45 seconds on and 15 seconds off):

1. Wall sit
  2. Squat walk
  3. Static lunge
  4. Close squat
  5. Lateral squat walk
  6. Curtsey lunge
  7. Squat with pulse
  8. Sumo squats
  9. Lunge hold
  10. Bulgarian lunge
  11. Single leg chair squat
  12. Single leg chair bridge
  13. X-over
  14. Donkey kick
  15. Single leg raise
  16. Hamstring dead stop
  17. Hamstring march
  18. Kneel to squat
  19. Alternating rear lunge
  20. Sumo pulses

Unfortunately this was the only workout I did this week. The end of the semester grind is in FULL swing and I had trouble finding time to get a workout in because I’ve been spending every second doing class, readings, videos, term papers, and projects. I was hoping this week I would be able to start researching how to structure my own workout and then try and do the workout with a friend over zoom or something to sort of teach them what I’ve been learning but I just didn’t have the time. So, it looks like that is what I will be doing for next weeks part of the project! If you have any tips or websites you recommend for learning how to structure/split workouts I will graciously take them because I don’t really know where to begin!

Bitmoji Image

1. Caleb Lueck

Hey Kassia,
    It’s really cool to see that TikTok has been helping you out through your journey. I totally understand how difficult it can be to schedule workouts on top of classes, especially during these last few weeks. I’ve been having to get up a lot earlier to fit mine in (and I am not a morning person so it makes it even more difficult).
    With that being said, if you are looking for an app to plan/ create your own workouts and schedule, one that I have used a few times is JEFIT. You can plan your schedule and also choose what muscles you want to focus on and it will provide you with a bunch of different exercises to choose from. Hope that can help get you started.
    -Caleb

2. Amanda Brace

Thanks for sharing your findings from the week, Kassia! TikTok is such a great place to find workout inspiration. I love how you summarized your experience in a timelapse video! Great use of EdTech tools. You did a great job of including videos, links, and images. I will definitely be checking out that YouTube channel for some inspiration! I’m not sure if you have tried it yet, but one of my go-to’s lately is the Peleton app. I don’t have a stationary bike, but I use it for all of the other amazing workouts! If you sign up, you get the first 2 months for free. They have a wide range of videos that span from 5 minutes up to an hour. There are so many options to choose from and you can also save them for later. I completely understand the exhaustion you must be feeling at this point in the semester! Maybe next week you can do a stretching or yoga workout to help with some stress. The Peleton app not only has yoga and stretching, but also mindfulness videos. Remember to take time for yourself! If you need any help or support, just let me know.