From Chalkboards to TikToks

From Chalkboards to TikToks

Participation… man it is always a tough conversation around the staff room, the question of “But how are we going to get the kids to participate?” That is always the main goal, isn’t it? Wouldn’t it be so much easier if they just always… wanted to? Ugh but noooo, the older kids don’t want to stand out from others and the younger kids are SO eagar it is sometimes too much excitment and disorganization. That is participation in a nutshell without technology. With technology as a tool in the classroom… I don’t think it hinders students ability to participate. In fact, I think it elevates the way they are able to learn, be assesed, show their work and express themselves.

How much children really use Youtube as a constant in their lives…

So what do I think this means for my future classroom? I think it means that students are going to excel when it comes to participating when using technology. They are able use the screen as a sheild to express who they truly are. For example, the students are to create something that documents their learning about their favourite animal, how ever they want using any form of technology. Some students may surprise you by what they come up with in how they show their work and express themselves. When students are able to use the screen to hide behind, it allows them to truly show who they are with no fear of failure.

I also think that the way the video expresses change and human expression is interesting. The video talks alot about if one person does something, soon the whole world is behind them doing their own version of that thing. Which can be such an interesting revelation. Watch how the world can change with one trend. One thing I don’t like about it is that no one seems to have their own style anymore… Seems they are all trying to be the next best thing on the internet by copying someone else… Pros and cons to apps like Youtube. Yes, it is a great resource to learn new things and skills. But it also Hinders creativity amongst oneself. If we are constantly going to youtube and tiktok for something to follow, we never are going to find out what we are capable of. #beALeader

I think that teaching in todays day and age we have to find balance within the system. We have to be the mediatores. If we don’t want our students just scrolling or being silly on their phones… we then need to create a space for students to use those devices to our advantages. Like the article mentioned… Tik tok and instagram are higher apps that students use. Why wouldn’t we have the students use the tik tok video app to express their learnings OR students in a photography class could create an instragram to showcase their work. I don’t know. There are so many ways we can incorporate technology that we should never leave that door unopened. At the same time, there needs to be a time and place for phones and technology. Students are having access to too much information at the wrong times. Children and young adults need to slow down and still be kids within the world of technology.

One thought on “From Chalkboards to TikToks

1. Hello Kyla,
    I totally agree with you that technology can enhance participation by providing students with creative outlets and opportunities to express themselves without fear. With the use of technology such as platforms like TikTok and Instagram it can make learning so much more engaging. I do like your point that we get a lot of ideas from the internet and don’t push ourselves to find out what we are capable of.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Kyla 🙂