Educational Technology

I am of the millennial generation where technology is integrated in all aspect of life and even more so, my job. I was a Secondary School Mathematics Teacher in my home country and I have always chosen to utilized what I thought was the most basic forms of technology. I have used the RenWeb One Software for uploading grades, comments, attendance and so much more. I have also used google classroom, zoom, WhatsApp, emails, Kahoot and other platforms to interact with either administrators, students and, or parents. This was what educational technology meant to me, any tool or software that enables one to complete tasks in an efficient way as an educator or student.

An education Journalist, A. Shimalla (2024) wrote an article on what education technology is today, and the uses of such. She stated that “Educational technology, or ed tech, encompasses a wide variety of applications, software, hardware and infrastructure components — from online quizzes and learning management systems to individual laptops for students and the access points that enable Wi-Fi connectivity”. She mentioned that the usages of projectors and long based assessment are no longer primary tools used in the classrooms.

Despite my interactions with the above aforementioned interfaces, I do regard myself as a digital immigrant. Technology is continuously evolving, and I often feel as if I just cannot keep up. It just does not comes naturally as it does for others, but, being introduced to the concept of soft and hard technology, my understanding of educational technology has changed positively. The focus is not merely on the tool or device, but what it is being used for and how it is being used to achieve a purpose. It was an humbling experience, that a stick, pencil, ruler and abacus could be considered a tools of educational technology. I am looking forward to learn and grow on a personal level by applying I have garnered in this course.

2 thoughts on “Educational Technology

1. I do agree with you my friend that technology is continuously evolving with time. First, we don’t know about the usage of some devices but when we become compatible, we feel easy and comfortable with them. I have experienced many newforms of technological advancements.

2. Hi Latoya,

Yeah I truly agree with you that considering these simple tools like pencil or abacus as a part of the educational technology is something great and its impressive that they have adapted using tools like google classroom and kahoot, it sounds like you have a rich experience with using technology into your teaching !!
    Looking forward to learning from you !
    Thanks,
    Gagan deep kaur