WOW…Off to a Good Start!

WOW…Off to a Good Start!

Reviewing peers work is a tough job.  I found it hard to critique when I am just learning to manipulate and maneuver an online platform.

Serious European woman tries to find decision thinks hard keeps finger near lips feels displeased has gloomy expression wears round spectacles long sleeved jumper isolated over pink background

Thanks to the ladies who reviewed by course prototypes.  I enjoyed reading the comments and will comment on some questions that were posed to me in this blog.

Can all the slides flow together in one file?

I did originally have it that way but was suggested from our online sharing format in class that I spilt it up in case the kiddo’s did not complete the whole lesson they may not remember where they left off and I thought that was a great point. I do however agree that the amounts of tabs open in the end was a little excessive.

Background for slides.

The suggestion to upload the content /background as a picture does make a lot of sense so the kiddo’s have less places for them to click.  I will try and do this for my next module and see how it works.

Traditional Foods.

I can not believe that I never thought of adding some traditional foods into the lesson.  What a great idea!

Screencast Video Could be added with directions. 

I totally agree that a screencast could be uploaded with the directions of how to get from one place to another throughout the module especially if a kiddo has to complete the lesson from home. I will try and add that to my second module.

How will you provide feedback for students during the modules?

That is a good question.  I would provide feedback either in person or through flipgrid as well.

If students, who are not present, are not keeping up with the assignments how will you connect to get the work done? 

If the kiddo is in school I will spend some time with them to help problem solve what is going on and what could be done to help them be successful with the module.  If the kiddo is working from home I would make contact with home and see what is going on and what could be done to help their student at home be successful.

What will you do to support those at home if they are not doing their work or showing up to class?

I would make a contact with home and see if there is anything I could do to support the kiddo.

Rationale for Google Classroom over another LMS. 

I chose to use google classroom for a couple of reasons even though SeeSaw would have been an easier format for grade 2’s.  I have never used Google Classroom so I wanted to explore and play with it.  I suppose with any LMS used for younger kiddo’s there would have to be a lot of pre teachings done in order for them to be successful.

Thank you!

I really enjoyed going through the comments and suggestions I had from my two reviewers.  So many positive comments were made and great suggestions and questions were posed.  I look forward to creating module 2 and adding in some of these suggestions that were given to me!

Thank you

5 thoughts on “WOW…Off to a Good Start!

1. HI Lindsey,

I really appreciate the way you responded to your feedback and how you plan to implement these things into your next course module. Feedback from my students has been very positive about utilizing screen casts for instructions and lesson videos when students have been at home. It is so interesting how students know how to access certain parts of each LMS within the classroom, but when they are at home, they lose the ability to do this. So, more than anything, screen casts provide a zero excuse as to why students can not keep up and understand exactly what is expected of them.

Although, and I totally agree with you, checking in with home to see if students are accessing the course if they are at home will be a tricky and time consuming process, but one that needs to be done!

Thanks for sharing!!

2. Hello Lindsey,
    I know I was one of your reviewers but I wanted to come and read your reflection! You’re right it can be difficult to “critique”, especially since everyone has such different styles. I remember writing a couple of things down and thinking there’s absolutely no need for her to change this since it’s just a style thing. It can be hard to keep that mindset. Even the backgrounds for slides I don’t think are essential- definitely an extra. If you do want to do that check out the extension “slides toolbox”, I use it so if you want help I could show you! Do not feel pressured to do that though, yours were all in “view” mode so it’s not as relevant to a drag and drop activity for example. Great job!

3. All of these comments inspire interest in me to check out Google Classroom! It sounds like there is some versatility present with the extensions that are available. I look forward to hearing more about your learning progress and module creation.

4. Hi Lindsey,

I am also trying to figure out how exactly I want to provide feedback for students in my blended course. I am very old school in this area of my practice; pen and paper. I am excited to explore some new options for feedback that may be more timely.

Scott

5. Hi Lindsey,

I enjoyed reading your comments and the ways you might implement some of the suggestions into module 2.
    I am interested to see how grade two’s will respond to video feedback. I think it is a great idea and if we can get students familiar with this practice at a young age, it could be very beneficial and perhaps a time saver for teachers.
    I appreciate how you are willing to contact the student/family at home to help support them and work through barriers to home learning. A very important time investment to help students find success and let them know you care.
    I loved the suggestion of including traditional food, what a great idea!
    Thanks for your insightful reflections. 🙂