So Much Learning this Semester…

So Much Learning this Semester…

Overview of Course Prototype and Creation Process

The course I have started to develop is Grade 2 Health and focuses on Healthy Snacks. Being a VP currently I do not have the opportunity to teach but this is the grade level that I love teaching the most. The module can take place in the classroom or at home if the student can not attend.  The course prototype requires a lot of pre teaching before the module could be successful with the grade 2 class.  In this era of digital learning our students already come with a great knowledge of skills and abilities, sometimes I believe it is definitely more than myself!

Designing the Modules and Receiving Feedback…

Developing Module one wStressas definitely very time consuming and caused myself a lot of self doubt as to whether or not it was the appropriate lessons for the students.  That in itself is one of the joys of teaching, you are always able to adapt and modify lessons if they are not working.

I found the feedback that we received from our peers during one of our online classes very beneficial and changed my layout of the module to make it easier to follow for younger students.  The peer feedback on paper was also very beneficial, not only was it positive but also allowed for some suggestions and questions regarding the module.

Developing module two was a little easier and was met with less self doubt.  In Module two I kept the whole lesson together instead of breaking up the activities into septerate sections as per one of the suggestions in my written feedback.  I liked this idea for this module as it is a bit shorter than the first one and the students should get through it all in one setting minus creating the poster.

Throughout the modules I used different approaches to allow for learning and student interaction. Some of them are as follows:

• Flipgrid
  • You tube
  • Edpuzzle
  • Word Docs
  • Canva
  • Google Slides
  • Jamboard
  • An audio recorder to record instructions for students

Now knowing what I know I wish I had developed something for my staff to participate in during a staff meeting.  That will be my next module I create!

Course Profile

Course Overview Grade 2 Health

Link to the Course

Grade 2 Health Class

Class Code for Google Classroom: bjib46k

Course Walk Through

Walk through my course!

Thank you message with person using a laptop computer

6 thoughts on “So Much Learning this Semester…

1. Lindsey,

I was also feeling somewhat doubtful as I started this process! After the first review and seeing some of our classmate’s work, I started to see we are all on the same wavelength! Your course walk through was concise and gave me just enough insight to understand your course! My first module felt like it took FOREVER to make because some of my videos were longer! Like you, I tried to scale it back a little bit for my second module which made its creation much smoother!

You mention pre-teaching some concepts prior to implementing your course– yes to this! Even though my students are Grade 4/5, they still need guidance when it comes to making appropriate comments/posts online and navigating an LMS.

Well done!

2. Hi Lindsey,

You had a very smooth and easy to follow course walkthrough. I really liked how you utilized voice notes on your google classroom posts, and I would love to learn how you did that! 🙂

I also really like how you want to implement some of these tasks with your staff as a admin. I would really like that as a staff myself and appreciate the effort to connect us as staff more than just a face to face meeting.

Thanks for sharing!! 🙂

3. Hi Lindsey,
    Thank you for sharing your module and walk through. When you clicked on your second Module in your walk through, I wasn’t able to see it. I can hear you explaining the Module however, the screen didn’t change. Just the let you know.

4. Hi Lindsey,

I also found the feedback process very useful. I was very reassuring to know people were facing the same struggles and that the work I was doing was “good enough”. Great work!

Scott

5. Hi Lindsey,
    I enjoyed your modules and class walkthrough! I loved you you included voice instructions for this age level.
    I too found the feedback process a bit stressful. I was relieved to see that many of us felt the same way.
    Thank you for mentioning creating a module for staff meetings, that is a great idea and something that I am planning on doing as well.

6. Lindsey,
    I had to come back and look at your module 2! Great job putting this all together. It’s clear you spent a lot of time developing this, you created a clear pathway for student learning. Well done! Best of luck in the future!