My Relationship With Technology

My relationship with technology has been rocky for most of my teaching career. Whether it was moving from one management system to another- Powerschool to MSS to Edsby; going from a TV with a VCR to a SmartBoard and now a TV with Airtame; or flipping between learning platforms such as Google Classroom or Moodle, technology has always been something that has intimated me. 

My introduction to online learning happened right before COVID hit.  In early 2020, I was asked to develop high-performance online courses and although I knew NOTHING about anything online-related, I said yes. When COVID hit, I was at home trying to figure out how to not only, connect with my students virtually and try to teach them through Google Classroom, but I was also trying to build courses on Moodle that were to be ready by the summer. 

When I look back on that time, yes it was incredibly stressful, but I believe it was the best thing that could have happened to me in my teaching career. Technology was something I feared. It frustrated me. When I said “yes” to creating online classes without any experience or knowledge, little did I know the impact it would have on me and my career. 

• It forced me out of my comfort zone and that it is okay to take risks and try new things! 
  • I have gained more confidence in my abilities and skills. 
  • It has made me a more engaging face-to-face teacher.
  • I am able to assist my colleagues with questions and concerns about online and blended learning.
  • It has sparked an enthusiasm and excitement for learning. 
  • It has presented new opportunities.
  • It has kept me current with educational trends. 
  • It has kept me relevant and relatable.
  • It has made me believe, that no matter how long you have been teaching- we are all capable of learning new things!!

Technology no longer scares me. In fact, I actually get excited when I learn about something new I can try online or in the classroom. Whether it is about a new platform, like Mentimeter, Padlet or Flipgrid, or a new Chrome extension like Momentum, which I can share with my students, technology is now something I embrace. 

Leanne Meili

Greetings, everyone! My name is Leanne Meili (she/her), and I am currently in the Teaching, Learning and Leading Master's Program.