Self Story #3: Tell a story of an experience you have had that is an example of or a realization of your class

I never really concerned myself with the concept of class until I was in high school. It wasn’t really until I was in grade 11 and got involved helping with the school’s lunch program. I remember the first day I was working I was taking cash and checking off people’s names who had a prepaid lunch card. It was a really busy day because it was the very popular Mac ’n’ Cheese, so I didn’t really think too much about the list of names I was looking at. The lunch rush came and went, we closed the serving station and went to the home ec lab to start cleaning. We started to clean up the mess when two kids, a brother and a sister walked in. They were in grades nine and ten. I knew who they were but didn’t know them very well. All I knew is it seemed like they wore the same clothes every day and kept to themselves at the school. The director of the lunch program, Sherry, greeted them excitedly but told them to “just hold on” because she had forgotten to prepare their lunches. At this point I was counting money and going through the prepaid list and at the bottom of the list, separated from the rest, were five names and there I saw their names. I asked my friend who had recruited me why their names were separate, to which she told me those were the names of kids whose parents sometimes or most of the time needed help with providing their children with food. So if they needed lunch they would come up tell us their name, and we would check it off like everyone else’s to not embarrass them, because we all know how cruel kids and teenagers could be. The situation these five names were in was something I never even had considered. There was always food in my house and I never had to worry about being hungry. I think that was the first moment I had really started to think about class and what the different classes meant. My status as middle class meant I was more privileged than the lower class because I had no problem getting the essentials like a healthy meal or a warm winter jacket for the cold winters.

2 thoughts on “Self Story #3: Tell a story of an experience you have had that is an example of or a realization of your class

1. Hi Lyndzee! Thanks for sharing! In high school I often saw everyone at my school as relatively the same class unless I knew them personally enough to know otherwise. It’s often eye opening to experience situations such as what you described and also shows the importance of education systems having supports for those who may need a little extra help with things such as meals.

2. Did you notice any changes after your encounter with them? Did you find yourself or others viewing them differently after finding out their social status? You told the story great and I could clearly picture it all the way through. I do wish you would have included what you felt when you found out why their names were separate. Did your school have any other supports that you know about for those students who may have needed a little more help? I personally do not remember any supports being advertised around my high school, but I do remember that the resource officer would pick one student up from his group home and drive him to school every morning. The guidance councillors also provided snacks to whoever wanted them. I wonder if I didn’t hear about these supports because I was fortunate enough to not need them, or if they just didn’t exist. Thanks for your post!