I made a video game! My childhood dream!

Well today I definitely learned something new! I coded my own video game! Doing an Hour of Code on code.org, I have successfully coded my own video game. The instructions were fairly simple to follow… Even though a couple times I wasn’t quite sure what to do, the program lets you know of your mistake and allows you to correct it before you move forward. This activity definitely felt a little more than a beginner activity but it was a lot of fun to see the work some together in the end. I took a screen recording of the process which is quite long, but it was a lot of fun for myself. Tune in here to check out my progress!

As far as coding in the classroom, I think there is 100% a spot for it. One of my few regrets in life is not learning more how computers work on the inside and with code. Technology is such a huge part of our lives and culture nowadays that I think it is so important that students learn at least the basics of coding. Now that I’ve been able to gain a little bit of experience in coding, I would definitely feel a lot more comfortable letting my kids play around with these programs and I’d feel confident that I would be able to help out students who are beginners in the area of code.

Pre-adolescent boys programming robotics at digital tablets in classroom

Photo by Hero Images/Hero Images

2 thoughts on “I made a video game! My childhood dream!

1. Hi Marcus,
    It is always very exciting when we learn something new. That is Eureka!. I see you in action creating your codes for your video game. That is amazing! Did you enjoy doing it?.