Jack of All, Master of None

Doing this project has been a great learning experience and I’m more than grateful for it. While doing this project, I learned a ton about stop motion and all of the little things and movements that go into it. The editing definitely being the most tedious of all the skills that I learned. Over the past two weeks, I’ve been fooling around with the app more and trying to pin point my ideas for my final project. Over that time, I have come to a tough but simple conclusion… While I have learned a lot and am miles ahead of where I started, I am nowhere near being a master, which has been kind of tough to accept, even though I really haven’t been working at this as long as I’m sure many people around the world have.

It is very difficult to be really good at stop motion and I’ve accepted that my final project is not going to be a professional piece of work… It is going to look choppy at times, the sound effects won’t be perfect, and the editing is going to take a long time simply to make a short story video.

While my final project is coming together nicely, I’d like to share a lot of the content that I’ve found along the way to help me improve!

A lot of the videos I’ve found to help have been through the Stop Motion Studio app. They have a fantastic library available to help beginners with their work and the videos are quite easier to follow and are great for instructional work. I’ve also been on YouTube to help find other tips and tricks as well as ideas for videos to make.

In previous posts, I’ve highlight articles that have helped me on my way with tips and tricks and I’ve even had the opportunity to talk to some of my current and previous students about their experiences with Stop Motion and how they made their projects work.

Overall, it has been an amazing experience and as a practicing teacher that implements Genius Hour in their classroom, this project has given me the opportunity to show my own students the “Genius Hour” project that I’ve put together myself. It definitely speaks volumes as a teacher to be able to show students that I’ve done the same type of project as a student myself and what I’m expecting of my students is not unrealistic!

2 thoughts on “Jack of All, Master of None

1. Hey Marcus, I’m looking forward to checking out your final product. I definitely appreciated how you used this learning experience to connect to your own Genius Hour for your classroom. It’s a great example for students to see that teachers and adults can continue to learn new skills and challenge themselves.

2. Hey Marcus, love to see the progess for your learning project. Definitely seems to be one of the most interesting learning projects! So many aspects going into the process, props for the effort going in!