Summary Blog: A Language Learning Journey and Embracing Conversational Mandarin

Counting in mandarin.

Embarking on a journey to learn conversational Mandarin has been a challenge and a source of great reward. As a self-proclaimed super noob in the language, I’ve come to realize that the road ahead is long. Yet, my progress allows me to connect and converse with my students and their parents, a feat I once thought impossible.

Me practicing my numbers skills through an interactive game of what number is this in Mandarin.

Various tools and resources, such as Grammar Wiki, WeChat, the “Mamahuhu” Youtube channel, Skritter, and Mandarin Duolingo, have been instrumental in my language learning process. From grasping grammar concepts to improving speaking, listening, writing, and vocabulary skills, each tool has played a significant role in my journey towards mastering conversational Mandarin.

Me practicing how to be polite to parents when I meet them. Learning to introduce myself, asking question, giving and receiving gifts too.

One of the most valuable aspects of my language learning journey has been the opportunity to engage with former Chinese students on WeChat. This real-life practice has been instrumental in improving my conversational skills. Additionally, the entertaining and educational content on the Mamahuhu YouTube channel has helped me better understand colloquial expressions and cultural nuances, enhancing my language skills.

Me talking to a student about food which is one way that I like talking with my students about. A cultural exchange through sharing food. I learned how ask for food in Mandarin, asking a person for what their favourite food is and how to say I am hungry.

As I continue on my language-learning journey, I am grateful for my progress so far. The practice of writing Chinese characters on Skritter and expanding my vocabulary through Mandarin Duolingo has significantly enhanced my language skills. While I still have a lot to learn, I am excited about the future and the further development of my conversational skills.

Me Practicing Mandarin with my students which is my purpose of this project in the first place.

This learning project has allowed me to bridge the gap between my current language proficiency level and the ability to relate and communicate with my students and their parents in Mandarin. As I continue on this linguistic adventure, I am excited to develop my conversational skills further and deepen my connection to the Mandarin-speaking world.