Audio visual tools and it’s implications

Multimedia, also known as audiovisual aids, is widely used in today’s educational system for a variety of reasons, one of which is that it improves the overall teaching-learning process. The suggested reading concluded that audio-visual aids are the most effective and easy way to make the teaching learning process result-oriented. AV technology has completely replaced the traditional method of teaching where the teacher was the only source of information and students played a passive role in the classroom over the years. but the incorporation of AV technologies into education has benefited both students and teachers. Teachers can now present content in the most creative way possible, breaking the monotony of a dull class and making learning more enjoyable, interactive, and learner-centered. Even in my own teaching experience, I have found multimedia content to be extremely useful. In my lesson plans, I have used various AV tools such as overhead projectors, videos, movies, the internet, models, and so on.Let’s go over the various types of audio-visual aids that can be used in our classrooms. –

Image source- https://prateekmaj21.medium.com/audio-visual-aids-711d25e6043a

It is commonly assumed that audio-visual aids aid in retention and allow learners to acquire knowledge for a longer period of time; however, according to the “cone of learning” also known as learning pyramid developed by the National Training Laboratory suggests that AV technology only aids in 20% retention and maximum retention, which is 90%, occurs when learner teach others. According to learning pyramid the effectiveness of audio-visual learning and study methods are enhanced when combined with other, more active forms of study. which makes me wonder how much are we supposed to rely on these tools and at what cost ? This is the question I want educators to ponder on.

Image source – https://www.educationcorner.com/the-learning-pyramid.html

-Advantages of Av technologies

• Makes classroom enjoyable
  • Attention-grabbing
  • Helps in retaining the concepts
  • Breaks monotony of class
  • Stimulating

Disadvantages of AV technologies

• Distraction
  • Risk of technical issue
  • Indiscipline
  • Costly

To summarise, I believe that audio-visual aids undeniably aid in effective learning. Both teachers and students benefit from the use of various audio-visual materials in the classroom. Audio-visual aids in teaching and learning by making the classroom more interactive and interesting, motivating students, facilitating language skills, and providing many other benefits; however, in my opinion, other teaching methods should be used alongside AV tools for the child’s overall development rather than being overused.

Thank you!

One thought on “Audio visual tools and it’s implications

1. Hi Meenu,

Great post! I completely agree that AV adds so much value to a classroom, well beyond the entertainment factor. I find my lessons that include any kids of multimedia is more successful with my students. It’s becoming more evident that as teacher we need to almost become entertainers. Using AV tech in my classroom takes the pressure off of me standing up at the board working on my stand-up comedy.

Thanks,
    Nikki