“Is the Internet really a productivity tool or merely an endless series of distractions?”

Without a doubt, the internet is the most powerful creation of our time, and it has become an integral part of our lives. It has given humans unprecedented power by enabling connectivity, reachability, and access to limitless information.Working from home would not have been possible during the pandemic without the internet; in fact, it increased productivity because travel time was eliminated. It was the internet that kept the world going during the world’s darkest hours, keeping everyone connected during covid. Schools were closed, but learning continued; in fact, instead of limiting themselves to school, many instructors experimented with new methods of imparting knowledge and establishing their own brand value and profile. Platforms such as YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok have created new revenue streams by paying people to create content, shattering the myth that working a full-time job is the only way to make money. However, as they say, every good thing has some drawbacks, and the internet is no exception, which has led to people becoming addicted to interruptions.

Image source- https://www.salesforce.com/ca/blog/2016/12/distraction-blocking-apps.html

Also, the article You Now Have a Shorter Attention Span Than a Goldfish  mentioned about the latest study conducted by Microsoft corp that people now lose concentration after about eight seconds, which is even less than the ill-focused goldfish highlighting the effects of an increasingly digitalized lifestyle on the brain. Given that our attention span is the amount of concentrated time we can devote to a task before becoming distracted, having a strong one is very important to get things done. Human brains are naturally drawn to laziness, and the internet provides that comfort to our brain. One simple example that comes to mind is remembering phone numbers; previously, when the internet was not widely available in our lives, we used to learn the numbers of all our family members and friends, but today I can’t even think of doing that; today, if you ask me, I only know my number.

What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains

Image source- https://www.diygenius.com/the-internet-is-changing-our-brains/

This image is an accurate representation of the majority of today’s youth, giving the impression of multitasking. I found the suggested video “Single tasking is the new multitasking” to be very relatable and interesting. It’s amazing how we’ve become so accustomed to doing one thing at a time.

Thank you!

2 thoughts on ““Is the Internet really a productivity tool or merely an endless series of distractions?”

1. I like what you said about unprecedented power. The internet has changed the world in so many ways, for both the good, and the bad. I recognize the grip that technology has on my attention span. I have ADHD, and so am easily distracted on the best of days, but having a phone beside me, and six or seven tabs open on my laptop is never conducive to being overly productive. That being said, when I AM dialed in, my productivity can be absolutely astounding, without ever needing to leave my chair I can complete so many of my daily tasks that weren’t possible 2 decades ago. As with all things technological, it is a huge give and take relationship.

2. “our attention span is the amount of concentrated time we can devote to a task before becoming distracted, having a strong one is very important to get things done.” I agree with your statement but having strong concentration is not an easy task… And yes one of the reasons is the internet… There are so many times that I am distracted by it… I open the internet to search for something valuable and I end up just wasting my time… It is not easy but it is also not an impossible task.
    Thank you for such an interesting post!