Writing the Self Analysis: Race, Racism& “Whiteness”

Writing the Self Analysis-àRE: Race& Racism, “Whiteness” & Common Rebuttals

1. Almost with a sense of relief I found commonalities between my own story, Robyn’s and Averie’s stories when speaking about race, racism and “whiteness”.  It was obvious amongst our words that when first approaching further knowledge regarding racism one naturally feels a sense of defensiveness. When discussing topics such as white privilege, white fragility and concerns regarding race we admittedly stated a feeling of uncomfortableness and vulnerability. Fortunately, this unusual feeling has brought on the realization that we must be willing to break the normal narratives surrounding race in Canada. As a community we must be willing to engage in conversation that points out the obvious issues surrounding race in our country.

There are a few normative narratives mentioned within the above-mentioned blog posts (Robyn, Avery& Myself). “White equals innocence” (Robyn’s blog). This normative narrative was easy to understand as we unfortunately see many discrepancies within the justice system in Canada based on race and more unfortunately racism. Robyn gave an example of mistaken identity simply based on an indigenous person versus a white person, in this case the indigenous person was innocent however was arrested before the white person. I can relate closely to this situation as I have experienced it first hand as well. I called the police regarding a fight on the road in front of the shelter I am employed with. While waiting for police outside I was accompanied by one of the male youths from the shelter, he was Indigenous. When the police arrived, the first person they went to detain was the youth I was with, not the women fighting across the street. I believe strongly this was because of his race and overall appearance (tall, muscular, multiple tattoos).

Another common normative narrative was that “…race is a thing that happens to everyone else”. This meaning white people are often oblivious to race related issues. White people often voice a variety of common rebuttals. Rebuttals such as “I treat everyone equally!” or “It’s what I have been taught since birth!” and “Why can’t we all just be human? Isn’t it this focus on race that divides us?” (P.146- “Is Everyone Really Equal?). As learning, growing adults we are realizing more now than ever that statements like these are becoming unacceptable. We have access to education and knowledge to be aware of issues and inequalities regarding race. If we do not necessarily have direct access to this educational material it is up to students alike ourselves to speak up and participate in those conversations that may make you feel vulnerable or uncomfortable.

1. normative narrative that white equals innocence is disrupted on a daily basis. White people are just as involved as any other race when it comes to crimes being committed. There are a variety of mentioned stereotypes that come along with minority populations when crime is reported. Comments such as “…just another drunk native” or “….oh well, they deserve to be in jail” made when specifically talking about the Indigenous population. To further disrupt these notions one may mention the tragic “star light tours”.

“On Jan. 28, 2000, two police officers drove Darrell Night five kilometres outside of Saskatoon and abandoned him in -22° C weather with just a T-shirt and jean jacket on his back. The incident was part of a series of “starlight tours,” a practice in which officers were said to have picked up drunk or rowdy people like Night, at night, and dropped them off in the dead of winter. At least three Indigenous people in Saskatoon are suspected to have died this way, beginning with 17-year-old Neil Stonechild in 1990.” (Megan Campbell-Macleans Magazine)

Incidents alike the tragedy of star light tours so close to home show the reality of the inequalities within our country. It is unbelievable for many people to comprehend the betrayal of our law system that was constructed to protect us all equally.  These negative events highlight the injustices that occurred long ago but still remind us that they still happen today. With this knowledge one must have hope that as a community we will recognize both the strengths and weaknesses of our country and strive to be better. Better as in diverse, inclusive and accepting.

Resources:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/new-light-on-saskatoons-starlight-tours/

About mam267

University of Regina student currently studying from a distance in Weyburn, SK. Born and raised in Saskatchewan and proud to say I have been blessed with the values of the prairies. A passion for equality, kindness and helping others. As a mother, family member and community individual I strive to make everyone feel equal, appreciated and important to our world. My intentions are to successfully become a part of the educational environment which we call schools, and to make a difference while I am there. Each day is a new day to learn and I am here today and many days to come!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Writing the Self Analysis: Race, Racism& “Whiteness”

1. Alec Kubala says:

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

2. Danny Crim says:

I cannot thank you enough for the article.Really thank you! Keep writing!