Week 4 learning through crisis

What does it mean to be a good student? A good student does not disrupt others in the classroom, they most likely participate willingly in classroom activities, they are simply implicitly obedient. A good student would produce good grades on standardized tests and be able to attend school without restrictions.

Students privileged by the above definition are mainly white, middle/upper class individuals. Individuals who are not affected by poverty, hunger and racism. Individuals who would be considered “normal”.

After reading the assigned pieces I have come to the conclusion that it is COMFORTABLE to say that some of the ways we teach and are taught to teach, are oppressive in themselves. Mainstream society places a noticeable amount of value upon preferred behaviors, knowledge and skills, leaving others outside of this “circle” deemed disadvantaged or problematic. Going forward, it is our duty to challenge/ disrupt this narrative by engaging in a way that not only highlights but challenges oppression.

“The insistence on meeting standards and complying with what some in society have defined as common sense.”- this statement said a lot to me. It highlighted how challenging it can be for teachers to challenge oppression, not because they do not want to but because there are always pressures (political, from managerial staff etc.). What if I say the wrong thing at the wrong time? What if I make a student uncomfortable? If a teacher has the knowledge I believe without hesitation they should proceed with challenging oppression. In the same breath I support those still working on moving forward despite many of the political challenges within a classroom.

About mam267

University of Regina student currently studying from a distance in Weyburn, SK. Born and raised in Saskatchewan and proud to say I have been blessed with the values of the prairies. A passion for equality, kindness and helping others. As a mother, family member and community individual I strive to make everyone feel equal, appreciated and important to our world. My intentions are to successfully become a part of the educational environment which we call schools, and to make a difference while I am there. Each day is a new day to learn and I am here today and many days to come!
This entry was posted in ECS 210, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Week 4 learning through crisis

1. Hello.This post was really interesting, especially because I was browsing for thoughts on this issue last Wednesday.