Week two: History of Curriculum

Week two: History of Curriculum

1. What does it mean to be a “good” student according to the commonsense?

According to common sense, to be a good student is to meet the expectations the teacher has for their students. In our society, some expectations teachers have for their students are to follow directions, be good listeners, get along with others, complete their homework on time and well done and participate in class.  However, in other societies and cultures, the expectations to be a “good student” are different because commonsense varies. 

2. Which students are privileged by this definition of the “good” student?

Students that can meet the expectations teachers have for them are privileged. Those who can follow directions, sit quietly and complete tasks. Students who come from homes that have present parents, healthy food to eat at every meal, a good night’s sleep and have positive role models are privileged students. They learn at home how to follow directions and are put at an advantage before even going to school. Other students who have trouble sitting quietly or following directions are put at a disadvantage. 

3.How is the “good” student shaped by historical factors?

“Good” students are shaped by what is expected from society in that time of history.  In the article “History of education”  I learnt how school tin India and China shape their students to fit into their society. They teach their students how to work in their society. This makes me think of our last ECS 210 lecture, certain points in history changed the way schools educate students.  During the Industrial Revolution schools change the way they taught students to teach them how to work in factories and perform in the assembly lines. They wanted to teach students how to be “good” employees. “Good” students’ expectations are shaped by what society needs at that point in time.

2 thoughts on “Week two: History of Curriculum

1. Hi Mia,
    I made lots of connections to your blog post. I have never really thought about the basis of what it means to be a “good student” and how this definition may differ in many cultures. I never took that into consideration with my classmates from other cultures when I was a student and how this may have been a completely new issue for them. Reflecting on my school experience and your understanding of who is privileged to be a “good student”, I definitely classified in that category. It was easy for me to fit in and be considered as a good kid because of the privileged home life that I had and my ability to follow every instruction that the teacher laid out. I now wonder if we, as pre-service teachers, are able to change this thinking of creating a “good student” and instead allow these students to express their individualism and respond to what their behaviours are communicating to us.

2. Mia,
    I personally never fit the model of the “good student” and it took me a long while to understand that I actually did like school.
    I’m curious how you personally connect to this understanding of the “good” student? How are we perpetuating this understanding in schools? In your own university learning? What would it look like to challenge these ideas?
    I’m really curious to know your own thoughts on this topic.
    Riley