Teaching Manifesto

I believe learning is more meaningful when students discover things, rather than being told.

My classroom will be inquiry driven. We will ask essential questions, create projects, and learn through play.

I believe every student is created equal.

Each of my students will see themselves represented in our literature, lessons, resources, and classroom décor.

I believe diversity is valuable.

We will cherish our differences, rather than pretend not to notice them.

I believe in getting outdoors.

We will learn outdoors, in nature-based lessons, in every season, rain or shine!

I believe school should feel like home.

Students will move freely in a variety of seating options, under the light of lamps and/or natural light. No fluorescents! Décor will be student-made.

I believe every child learns differently.

I will create lessons using universal design and differentiation.

I believe the arts are valuable.

Our classroom will be infused with art. Art is not a subject area, it is a way for us to express ourselves, and can be a part of any and all other subjects, every day!

I believe in restorative justice.

I will challenge prejudices when I hear them, perform land acknowledgments, teach treaty education, and raise up the next generation of social justice warriors.

I believe learning is fun!

My classroom will be a lively, enthusiastic space, full of curiosity and laughter.

I believe in the power of the written word.

My students will have access to a personally curated library, which represents each of them and their interests, and fosters a love of reading.