Using Screen Recording Feature to Explore the Head Space App

This week, I chose to explore the screen recording feature accessible on iPhones. It may be accessible on other products as well. However, I have only ever used it on my phone. Screen recording is a useful and convenient feature, especially when explaining something happening on your device to another person. I am a visual learner, so being able to watch as someone is explaining helps me get a better understanding. For those of you who have never used this feature, I will provide a step-by-step guide on where to find it and how to use it. 

**Swipe down on your screen to

see this for step one**

screenrecordingtutorial                                                                                                                                                            **from here, you swipe up on your screen, and you should see your home screen**

Now that I have gone through how to find and use the screen recording feature, I can move on to how this feature applies to my learning project on mindfulness. This week, I am exploring the app Headspace. I will use the screen recording feature to show you what the app looks like and what it all includes. I was initially going to dive into the more medical side of mindfulness, but I will save that for another post! I have yet to explore any apps or methods for this learning project. Up until now, I have been focusing on the research behind mindfulness. Which means I was super excited to check out the app! I have heard so much about this app but have never explored it. Mainly because the app is not free, and I was not ready to commit to purchasing a membership yet. It just turned out that my partner’s mom has the app and let me use her account, which motivated me to check it out! She rocks.

I will post the screen recording below. Be sure to turn your sound on because I will narrate my actions throughout the recording! The microphone feature is really awesome!

Screen Recording Tutorial & Headspace Tour:

Screen Recording Feature (youtube.com)

Screen Recording in the Classroom:

Screen recording is a tool that could be used in the classroom. Screen recording is an excellent way of modelling how to use apps, as it projects everything you do or click on. Here are a few ways that I have thought of that would be beneficial in the classroom!

• Demonstrating to students how to set up accounts (how to find them, what to click on, how to log in)
  • Demonstrating using specific apps via iPhone or iPad (ex., Zorbits, Epic, Reading Eggs, Google Classroom, etc.). During my internship, the students used math apps like Zorbits or reading apps like Reading Eggs and often did not know how to log out or forgot how to sign in. It would benefit all students to screen record and project on the board to follow along with you as they learn how to navigate apps or new websites.
  • Demonstrating how to use apps like Edsby or Zorbits for parents. Technology can be daunting for many people, including parents. However, many schools rely on technology for classroom/parent communication. These apps have so many great features that many parents or guardians may not know how to access or how to use them properly. Screen recording from the perspective of what they should be seeing from their device could benefit many parents and hopefully make it less daunting.
  • Modelling how to send proper emails from a device

These are just a few ideas I had. However, I am positive there are many more! Let me know if you have ever used screen recording in the classroom and how it worked!

SAMR Model- Where does screen recording fit?

When looking at this feature through the SAMR model, I would place screen recording under substitution or augmentation. Screen recording is a tool to demonstrate/model how to do things via technology through our devices. The feature itself does not act as a way to create or collaborate.

Thanks for tuning in. I am eager to continue exploring Headspace and plan to incorporate the app into my regular routines.

P.S. Educators get free access to the app! 🙂

2 Replies to “Using Screen Recording Feature to Explore the Head Space App”

1. Miranda Hammett says: Reply

Hi Morgan, I have never heard of the headspace app but it definitely looks like a really awesome tool to use for mental wellness! I like that you took us through the app and showed off some of the features that it offers and the fact that it is free for teachers is even better! I definitely think I will be checking out this app! 🙂

2. Hey Morgan! I’ve seen so many ads about the headspace app and have been really curious about it so this was really cool to see you go through all of it.
    I also had never thought about using the screen record function in the classroom. I’ve used it many times (mostly to show my dad how to do things – like you said technology can be daunting for parents lol), but have never thought about the many ways it can be applied outside of what I’m currently using it for.